New key, SKIM, and removal there of

bluejeep

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
2006 LJ I had my SKIM removed from the computer and removed the halo portion around the ignition cylinder. The original SKIM key works fine still.

Had 2 new non-SKIM keys made and while they do unlock the door, they do not start the vehicle. I can turn them ccw to the accessory position, but they will not turn cw at all.

Wondering if this is due to the removal of the halo unit? Tomorrow i will reinstall the Halo but not plug it in, and see what happens.

I want to remember reading somewhere about being able to tape a SKIM key near the halo unit and insert a non-SKIM key and it would work.

Maybe some magnetic magic business going on?

2006 LJ I had my SKIM removed from the computer and removed the halo portion around the ignition cylinder. The original SKIM key works fine still.

Had 2 new non-SKIM keys made and while they do unlock the door, they do not start the vehicle. I can turn them ccw to the accessory position, but they will not turn cw at all.

Wondering if this is due to the removal of the halo unit? Tomorrow i will reinstall the Halo but not plug it in, and see what happens.

I want to remember reading somewhere about being able to tape a SKIM key near the halo unit and insert a non-SKIM key and it would work.

Maybe some magnetic magic business going on?
The SKIM module is nothing but an antenna. Whatever issues you have turning the lock cylinder are not related to anything but the cut on the key.

Reactions: CharlesHS