New member. First Jeep. Can't believe what I've been missing out on!

98SheepWrangler

Hey everyone!

Bought my wife a 98 Wrangler SE (2.5L 5spd manual) for Mother's Day last month. It's the first jeep either of us have owned and we're both loving the experience so far (the kids think it's a rollercoaster and call it the "Sheep"). She wanted a fun ride for summertime and I talked her into a Jeep over a golf cart. She's glad I was right for once! haha

Little backstory of what I know about the jeep. The original owner drove it around 47k miles before hitting a deer and parking it for good. My friend purchased the Jeep for his wife in 2020 and put a TON of work into restoring it for her, but she never learned how to drive a stick. He barely put 500 miles on it. He mentioned selling it and I told him I was serious about buying it if he ever did. Fast forward to May 2021 and we bought it for just over $7k on Mother's Day. It looks great, runs great, and my buddy is just happy to see it being enjoyed the way it should've been. I know he did me a huge favor with the asking price!

Here's everything my friend put into the Jeep:

Everything rubber under the hood was replaced
All fluids flushed
All new filters
New paint job and second set of full doors painted to match
Tub interior sprayed with bedliner
Spare tire delete
New clutch, brakes, shocks, fuel pump, exhaust, seats, top, grille, headlights, marker lights, fender flares, battery, windows, plugs and wires, oil pan, u joints, and wheel bearings

Everything I've done so far:

Replaced all missing or broken bulbs - dash lights, dome light, and tail light
Replaced the broken aftermarket radio with a new bluetooth radio
Repaired the broken passenger door latch
Replaced the broken multifunction switch (I hated driving without turn signals)
Replaced the broken A/C vents

Everything currently on my honey-do list (in no particular order):

Replace the speedo gear to correct for 31" BFG KO2s
Replace all 4 wheels and tires
Undo the spare tire delete (maybe upgrade to HD tailgate parts)
Replace windshield
Replace A/C condenser
Front/Rear bumpers
Side rails
Speakers
Repair the gas gauge

We both agreed to keep a fairly stock look (with the oversized tires being the one exception) since we'll mostly be driving on the road and a few light trails. Not sure if y'all needed this much info in my intro, but I've never joined a forum before so I went whole hog just in case!

banner.jpg

Hey everyone!

Bought my wife a 98 Wrangler SE (2.5L 5spd manual) for Mother's Day last month. It's the first jeep either of us have owned and we're both loving the experience so far (the kids think it's a rollercoaster and call it the "Sheep"). She wanted a fun ride for summertime and I talked her into a Jeep over a golf cart. She's glad I was right for once! haha

Little backstory of what I know about the jeep. The original owner drove it around 47k miles before hitting a deer and parking it for good. My friend purchased the Jeep for his wife in 2020 and put a TON of work into restoring it for her, but she never learned how to drive a stick. He barely put 500 miles on it. He mentioned selling it and I told him I was serious about buying it if he ever did. Fast forward to May 2021 and we bought it for just over $7k on Mother's Day. It looks great, runs great, and my buddy is just happy to see it being enjoyed the way it should've been. I know he did me a huge favor with the asking price!

All fluids flushed
All new filters
Spare tire delete
New clutch, brakes, shocks, fuel pump, exhaust, seats, top, grille, headlights, marker lights, fender flares, battery, windows, plugs and wires, oil pan, u joints, and wheel bearings

Replace windshield
Replace A/C condenser
Front/Rear bumpers
Side rails
Speakers
Repair the gas gauge

We both agreed to keep a fairly stock look (with the oversized tires being the one exception) since we'll mostly be driving on the road and a few light trails. Not sure if y'all needed this much info in my intro, but I've never joined a forum before so I went whole hog just in case!

View attachment 257770
Welcome to the Jeep family !

should you ever get detoured to the famous Alaska highway
We’re situated in Dawson creek, BC, CANADA

MILE ZERO

~•lllllll•~👋🏿

Welcome to the Jeep family !

should you ever get detoured to the famous Alaska highway
We’re situated in Dawson creek, BC, CANADA

MILE ZERO

~•lllllll•~👋🏿
Thanks! I've wanted to visit that area since I was kid. Maybe one day I'll cross it off my bucket list!

Welcome from a couple of hours north of you. My wife and I didn't have a Jeep until later in our lives as well. I still kick myself for not doing it sooner. We love our Jeep.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
Welcome from a couple of hours north of you. My wife and I didn't have a Jeep until later in our lives as well. I still kick myself for not doing it sooner. We love our Jeep.
I've always been slightly envious of wrangler people (pre JK era anyways), but my first vehicle was an 89 silverado k1500 with the bulldog gear, so I never felt like I was missing out entirely since I could still handle most off-roading adventures with my friends. Now I get it. I really have been missing out. Still have my old truck for hauling and towing, but there is no better feeling that taking the top off and cruising back roads with the whole family.

Reactions: JMT and Ron505
Welcome to the forum! And greetings from NorCal.

Jeeps are a blast, and as I’m sure you’ll find out, expensive!

But don’t worry, these things are only going up in value. So it’s not only a good investment, they’re a fun investment too!

And yours is a good looking one as well.

Enjoy! 😸

Hey everyone!

All fluids flushed
All new filters
Spare tire delete

Replace windshield
Replace A/C condenser
Front/Rear bumpers
Side rails
Speakers
Repair the gas gauge

View attachment 257770
Really a great looking TJ - and the wheels look good too!

Congratulations!

They are super fun topless!

Check out the free or cheap mods thread.

get a Spidershade or Alien Shade! ❤️

Reactions: Ron505
Welcome to the forum! And greetings from NorCal.

Jeeps are a blast, and as I’m sure you’ll find out, expensive!

But don’t worry, these things are only going up in value. So it’s not only a good investment, they’re a fun investment too!

And yours is a good looking one as well.

Enjoy! 😸
I don’t know if I could ever let go of it now that I finally own one! And it’s definitely already expensive. I’ve already put about 2k into it with new wheels/tires and random little fixes it needed.