New member from Atlanta

Rubicon John

TJ Enthusiast
Hi guys,

my name is John and I live in Atlanta. Just picked up my first Jeep a few weeks ago, a 2004 Rubicon. I am a Land Rover technician by trade, and I am excited to begin building this Jeep that is mostly stock and I bought from the original owner. The ease of working on this compared to the over-engineering I am used to has been great so far with the couple of odds and ends I’ve straightened up so far.

I’ve been lurking for a couple weeks gathering information and I will have plenty of questions soon enough. Looking to do a 4 inch lift and some 33s most likely but I’m not one to pull the trigger until I’m sure what I want. Thanks for having me!

John

Reactions: Chris
Welcome to the forum!

I suspect you always have work in that case, since Land Rovers aren’t the most reliable from what I’ve heard (or are the better now?).

Welcome to the forum!

I suspect you always have work in that case, since Land Rovers aren’t the most reliable from what I’ve heard (or are the better now?).

Thanks Chris!

We are very busy most of the time. I would say the reliability issues with a lot of the newer Rovers tends to be “glitchy” stuff. But between air suspensions and English engineering, there is always something to fix once they start racking up the miles.

By the way, I really like your Rubicon with the Moab wheels and the Currie lift. I am contemplating something similar but I’m torn on keeping the 16’s for tire choice reasons. I do feel I will end up with the Currie lift though, as I want something that lasts at the end of the day.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks Chris!

We are very busy most of the time. I would say the reliability issues with a lot of the newer Rovers tends to be “glitchy” stuff. But between air suspensions and English engineering, there is always something to fix once they start racking up the miles.

By the way, I really like your Rubicon with the Moab wheels and the Currie lift. I am contemplating something similar but I’m torn on keeping the 16’s for tire choice reasons. I do feel I will end up with the Currie lift though, as I want something that lasts at the end of the day.

Yep, I figured that would be the case. With that many electronics, you probably have to be a software engineer to diagnose them :LOL:

Thanks! If I did it again I would go with 15" wheels, only because the tire selection for 16s is dismal at best, as I'm sure you found. Not to mention you can't get anything but an E rated tire in a 16" size, which means crappy ride quality. With a 15" you can get a C rated tire, which rides night and day better.

Yep, I figured that would be the case. With that many electronics, you probably have to be a software engineer to diagnose them :LOL:

Thanks! If I did it again I would go with 15" wheels, only because the tire selection for 16s is dismal at best, as I'm sure you found. Not to mention you can't get anything but an E rated tire in a 16" size, which means crappy ride quality. With a 15" you can get a C rated tire, which rides night and day better.
This is a must for me. My 285s might as well be solid rubber tires 😂. Between that and a high mileage stock suspension with spacers, I’m itching to get her to ride nice. I’ve read that the Rancho 5000x shocks are the way to go as well.

This is a must for me. My 285s might as well be solid rubber tires 😂. Between that and a high mileage stock suspension with spacers, I’m itching to get her to ride nice. I’ve read that the Rancho 5000x shocks are the way to go as well.

Yep, if you want the best ride you can get, use Rancho RS5000X shocks, C rated tires, and 26 psi. That's as good as it will get (y)

Senoia here, something to be said about a vehicle's interior you can just about completely disassemble with a Phillip's head screwdriver?

Senoia here, something to be said about a vehicle's interior you can just about completely disassemble with a Phillip's head screwdriver?
That's where Walking Dead was filmed right? And yes, to be able to pull my spark plugs out in a couple minutes is a Godsend.