New member from CO

rpeebles

Hey Gang!

I happened to stumble across this forum while doing some research and decided to join (seemed like a good place for sound advice). A little about me........My addiction to Jeeps started when I was about 14. My dad bought a new 1986 CJ7 in late '85 or early '86 and it's only gone downhill for me ever since (lol). That Jeep was sold when I enlisted in the Marine Corps and took off to parts unknown. I haven't had a Jeep since, but vowed to have another. The time is almost here, well if I can get my wife to approve. Realistically, I'm still probably more than a year away, but I'm putting in the research now so I'll know what I'm after when the time comes.

All that being said, I need some guidance. My plan is to build a capable offroad Jeep. Not a rock climber, it's just not my thing. Colorado is a beautiful state with many trails to ride and I want to enjoy them all with family and friends. I chose the TJ model for a few reasons, some are practical and some just because.... 1) round headlights. 2) Older models and (hopefully) less expensive. That less expensive part may be wishful thinking. 3) upgrades over the older CJ7. The list goes on, but you get the idea.

Anyway, the guidance I need is what to look for in a used TJ. My hope is to find something that hasn't already been modified, I'd rather put my own touch on this thing and make it what I want, not what someone else wanted. I know there are several trim lines (Sport, Rubicon, etc). Does one offer more than the other? Can I save some money by getting a Sport and adding the things I want or should I search for a Rubicon or something in between? I realize the phrase "save some money" and Jeep don't really go well together. Some things I know I want are the 4.0L engine and manual transmission, although I am open to an automatic. I will probably run a tire in the 35" range, just to give you an idea of where I'm going with this.

So, what are some of the "must haves" and what can I do without? Are Dana 44 axels really that important or can I upgrade a lesser model and still have a very capable ride?

Thanks upfront for all the help. Hope to see y'all on the trail someday!

Reactions: Chris
IMO, anytime you go to a 35" tire, you should be on a Dana 44 f/r. Dana 30 is capable of doing that depending on your driving style. HP D30s are great for the front too. Get something with a Dana 44 already in the rear. If you are not going to be "rock crawling" perse, then you really do not need a Rubicon. With that said, do not pass one up that is in decent shape for a great price. The 4:1 tcase is nice but not required for your discription of use.

As to your sport and save question, yes you can. Pricing differences between the Rubicon and Sport are very often wide enough to be able to upgrade to an aftermarket Dana 44 front axle. an automatic will save you from having to clutch it offroad. Almost all the crawling race teams have gone to auto, if not all. There is a reason. Some people like the manual still. Personal choice really.

If you have the opportuntiy, since it is a family purpose build, keep your mind open for an LJ ('04-'06). This will give you more room and a longer wheel base. Aside from all this, make sure to check for:

Original catalytic converter vs milage on vehicle (if smog is required in your neck of the woods)
Rust on body and inside and out of frame
Cracks in frame around steering box and elsewhere
heater/blower resistor replaced??

If you plan on 35s, you will be over a 4" lift ( or at least that with flat fenders), so don't concern yourself with little things that you will be replacing anyway to accomodate the changes (driveshafts, cracked brake lines...etc ).

Good luck and welcome back to the addiction.

Allen

Reactions: Chris and rpeebles
I'm a new member too. For my 65th birthday my sweet wife bought a 99 TJ Sahara with 150,000 miles. Had an 86 CJ back in the late 80's, a 95 YJ, then a couple of Liberties. She drives a 13 Grand Cherokee. My current off road vehicle is a Nissan Frontier ProX. Have taken it to the Easter Jeep Safari.
Our plan for the TJ is to slowly upgrade. Came with the limited slip in the rear 44. Will put a locker in the front. Now just cosmetic stuff. Had forgotten how much fun Wranglers could be.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks to all who have replied. I appreciate you taking the time to respond and offer your input. Glad I chose this forum to join.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum! If you do go for a Sport, you will most likely need to look at upgrading brakes and steering as well. The parts/labor/money needed for 35's vs 33's is a pretty big difference.

Welcome. I, too, am from CO; just north of Denver in Frederick. Sounds like you're asking the right questions. I bought my TJ back in 2006 and, because I didn't know any better, ended up with a Dana 35 rear axle and a 4-cylinder. If you look at my signature, you'll note I've made a lot of modifications to get it to where I want, but it took time and significant coin. Running 35s properly typically includes potential axle upgrades, gearing, braking, steering, as well as driveline modifications (SYE, CV driveshaft, motor mount lift) to deal with increased angles resulting from increased lift. In addition to the cost of lift, aftermarket wheels, and tires.

Someone with a Rubicon may disagree, but if you plan to run 35s, you're going to want at least 4.56 or 4.88 gears. Meaning, you're already going to have to regear the Rubi anyway. And you may want more than the stock lockers while you're at it. Knowing that, you can save on the overall purchase and get something like a Sport and save the difference towards axle upgrades.

There are so many different options, and so many varied personal experiences, that no one solution is correct. I'd suggest, if nothing at all, determine your end-result (if such a thing exists, lol) and build accordingly.

Reactions: rpeebles