New member, new to Jeeps, need honest opinions!

aznflipjose

Hi all!
I've always adored Jeeps and never really thought about getting one till the past few months. so I've been lurking around and doing research for the past 2 months now. I would like to get an opinion on these 2:

2003 Wrangler 2.4L (Listed as 8k)
Silver with Black Interior
86k Miles
The owner claims no rust as it was garaged
Fully Stock
No A/C

VS.

1997 Sport Utility 4.0L (Listed as 9.8k)
Blue Exterior with grey interior
98k Miles
Have Rust photos attached
Not sure if it has A/C

My thoughts:
I didn't post any pictures of the Grey as it looks like a stock jeep with no rust.
I like the grey as it doesn't have any rust and looks like its very well taken care of
I don't like the grey as it has no A/C (not a deal-breaker as you can rig it but just considering everything)

I love the blue color and the interior of this one! can tell it was in good hands!
However, I am worried about the rust in the car. can anyone provide any input on it? I understand its a 97' wondering how bad it is.

Also, what do you think? Opinions? Which would you choose? and why?

Thanks!

IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1860.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_890DCA30BCEB-1.jpeg

Avoid rust. If you can't judge how bad rust is find somebody that you trust that can. You need to see the Jeep and take a screwdriver or hammer to it. Bad is the only thing you can tell from pictures, you cannot tell if one is good easily from pictures. Depending on your budget they really are all great, just get what you can afford that is rust free. Don't settle on auto vs manual, get what you want.

I like everything about the 97, but the rust in picture 8 of 15 is concerning....
Need to do a thorough inspection of the frame on either side of the rear frame hoop and around the transfer case skid plate mounts.

Thanks for everyone's input.
I agree really concerned about the rust although I don't think it's that bad (from pictures) just the area of it is what's concerning to me. kind of a far drive for me to just check and he said the car wouldn't be available to be looked at till Monday.

The 4 cylinder question. actually, haven't figured it out. I was planning on using the car as a daily with freeway driving. and occasionally outdoor fun

Thanks for everyone's input.
I agree really concerned about the rust although I don't think it's that bad (from pictures) just the area of it is what's concerning to me. kind of a far drive for me to just check and he said the car wouldn't be available to be looked at till Monday.

The 4 cylinder question. actually, haven't figured it out. I was planning on using the car as a daily with freeway driving. and occasionally outdoor fun
If there’s rust you can see, there’s probably more rust you can’t see.

I went to GA for my last purchase and it’s completely rust free, if that’s something you can consider then do so.

Agree, Honestly I just want a manual, prefer a 4.0 but I don't think its a deal-breaker for me

As everyone else advised avoid rust, also 4 cyl. Jeeps and freeways should not be used in the same sentence.
Keep Looking and good luck!

Reactions: AndyG
Keep looking...you don't want the 2.5 for daily driving on the freeway. When you start poking you're going to find that rust is a lot worse than it looks.

Reactions: Modoc Guy
I agree with all the others, avoid any rust issues. They’ll never be easy fixes.

And don’t settle for anything less than what you want, your perfect Jeep is out there waiting for you! Keep looking, you’ll find it. 😸

Reactions: AndyG and DrDmoney
Q Have you ever driven a TJ and how long do you intend to keep it? Do you have available funds to maintain and do modifications on it?
Your question should be "how long will this rust hold out" or " How much would it cost to fix this rust" or
"How hard would it be to find a low mile rust free TJ 4.0 in NY under 10k"

Just be patient. Living in the Northeast its harder to find a good one but they are out there. For a TJ I would consider 100K lower mileage. I feel it's always better to get one as close to stock as possible so you don't inherit someone else's mess.

If there’s rust you can see, there’s probably more rust you can’t see.

I went to GA for my last purchase and it’s completely rust free, if that’s something you can consider then do so.
I wish more people would buy into this. It’s like people think the earth is flat and if they drive over 100 miles to get a TJ they might drive over the edge. The extent of rust can be very hard to evaluate, and it can be a really bad road to go down.

Really a rusty 4.0 and a non rusty 2.4 are not the best options, what you want is a non rusty 4.0.

Also I would not recommend the word “adore” in an opening post. Chris had me spearhead the Forum Manliness Initiative and we have had to have some tough conversations. It all started with someone using bumperette and then thingy. We still had a recent thread from a guy that was having a struggle removing his grease gun from his zerk fittings. He had to sell his Jeep.

Your avatar is what you will end up wishing you were doing with either choice- walking.

Not sure where you were in the pic but I was curious if any camels were around there.

Good thread, you found the right place to ask that question, the best TJ knowledge is right here.

Last edited:
Outside of the frame had "minor" rust. 😟
View attachment 262931
wow that’s nasty... I’m a little worried about because mine used to have a little rust as well but never looked in the inside, what did u use to take that picture? , also I have seen like a special tube with water pressure to clean the inside of the frame, and later on the same thing to paint and treat the inside, anyone have tried it?