New member - Western PA

Press1

Hello all! I just bought my first Jeep in about 45 years! It’s 1999 TJ that has never seen winter (Cal car). It has 207,000 miles and makes the appropriate noises for that. It really smells like oil, so I’m assuming a lot of blow by, but doesn’t smoke or drip that much.
I’m struck with two main thoughts: 1) Why haven’t I had a Jeep for the past 45 years (I intend to for the duration!), and 2) I want a new one!

Here’s the question: should I “modernize” this one with a new engine and trans. Or satisfy my urge by trading up to a Jk or even JL?

The engine feels remarkably strong, has compression btw 120 and 140 in all 6, and doesn’t have a noticeable whine from the (otherwise noisy) transmission. I filled it wit heavy gear lube and will do the same for the front and rear diffs.
Any suggestions on what to think about in my decision process?

84D0D63F-D091-46F7-ACBD-7115C43C55B1.jpeg

Good advice, thanks! Runs fine. Starts right up. The only thing really getting to me is the oily old Jeep smell. Might try a new pcv and valve cover gasket. Maybe check the oil pan bolts.

Reactions: TJ Rubicus
Having owned a numbers of TJs, then a badass JK Rubicon, I am now going back to a TJ Rubicon.

I can tell you the TJ is better from first hand experience :)

If you really wanted the best Jeep Wrangler ever, it would be a TJ with a V8 swap in my opinion. Of course that's going to set you back 10-20k for a swap, but if you plan on keeping it a long time, it would be worth it!

But anyways, welcome to the forum!

Reactions: TJ Rubicus
Hello all! I just bought my first Jeep in about 45 years! It’s 1999 TJ that has never seen winter (Cal car). It has 207,000 miles and makes the appropriate noises for that. It really smells like oil, so I’m assuming a lot of blow by, but doesn’t smoke or drip that much.
I’m struck with two main thoughts: 1) Why haven’t I had a Jeep for the past 45 years (I intend to for the duration!), and 2) I want a new one!

Here’s the question: should I “modernize” this one with a new engine and trans. Or satisfy my urge by trading up to a Jk or even JL?

The engine feels remarkably strong, has compression btw 120 and 140 in all 6, and doesn’t have a noticeable whine from the (otherwise noisy) transmission. I filled it wit heavy gear lube and will do the same for the front and rear diffs.
Any suggestions on what to think about in my decision process?

View attachment 125218
So you bought the tj and your wanting to sell and buy a new Jeep?

Looking at the pros and cons of redoing the driveline in this one vs buying newer. The body and frame on this one are in amazing shape.

@Press1 if you stick around long enough you'll come to realize that's the important part, the driveline is the fun part to mess around with, tweak & modify. You've already got the best of all worlds, the best Jeep ever built & it's in amazing shape, build on those ideas & you'll have a highly coveted rig sitting in your garage.

And, welcome fellow Pennsylvanian, I know Ligonier, IUP 88! Western PA is one of my favorite places on the planet.

My best advice, keep that beautiful machine in the garage anytime the salt brigade is out & be sure it stays put until the rains wash that nasty crap off the roads, let her live long & prosper :D

Thanks for the advice! Any thoughts on getting it undercoated?

I went with fluid film. You could do it yourself, or have it done in Monroeville. I don't know much about getting it done, but noticed there is a place there. There is also a place that will spray undercoating, that I thought about doing, but decided on Fluid Film instead. Here is the place I was thinking of.
http://www.rustrepairinc.com

It will be next to impossible for us to help you decide when we don’t have all the details about your budget, uses\wants for a Jeep, and most importantly, a clear understanding of your new Jeep’s condition. If you like your new Jeep, it may just be time for a tune up and some maintenance items. Even with it’s age, I would not use heavier oils than what is called for by the manufacturer in the diffs, engine, or trans, especially in cold Winters. If you drive it in cold conditions, perhaps look into synthetic 10W30 motor oil since it will flow better at startup to prevent wear. In extreme cold, 5W30 synthetic is recommended by Jeep. Otherwise, 10W30 conventional oil is fine in normal conditions.

As @Westtown Willy suggested, if you have a pristine TJ frame in Western PA, it probably isn’t a good idea to drive it on salt roads. If you have to drive on salted roads, look into doing the following:
1) Frame cleaning inside and out (do it on a hot day\week and allow it to dry in the heat for a few days)
2) Surface rust removal (as necessary using a wire wheel)
3) Rust reformer (if necessary over select spots if rust persists in areas where it is hard or impossible to completely remove by sanding). This encapsulates it and turns it into a paintable surface.
4) Paint over any bare metal frame or suspension part or areas where rust reformer was used. I go with high temp, rust and oil resistant paint. Satin or flat black. Satin will offer a bit better durability most of the time.
5) Finally, apply Fluid Film inside and outside the frame with a spraying device. Apply Fluid Film over the entire undercarriage, just not on brakes, exhaust or engine. I would recommend FF over products that don’t easily come off if you need them to. If really serious about frame preservation, perhaps look at some of the popular internal frame coating products as well, but do this before applying the fluid film, and still apply the FF afterwards on the outside of the frame.
6) Lightly rinse your undercarriage during the Winter when using FF. Don’t use the full pressure all the time or you will remove some of the protective coat.

(Review and repeat these steps each year. Some years only 1 and 5 need to be repeated before Winter comes.)

Many of us have been in the position of owning a TJ and then finding themselves wanting a JK or JL. I started with an 05 TJ when I got the Jeep bug. I kept the TJ and then bought a used 2016 JK as a daily\Winter driver so I can keep the TJ pristine. They are different animals indeed. The TJ is a classic, the best Wrangler ever built, most will say. The JK (or JL) will be a better choice if you spend a lot of time on the highway and like to take long trips. It will be more comfortable for that. Also a 4 door JK or JL will ride even better on the highway due to their even longer wheel base. For the older TJ generation, the LJ model with the longer wheelbase typically makes for the most comfortable highway runner.

Reactions: Press1
Thank you for the advice! This is a truly helpful forum!!

As far as use is concerned, I’m a photographer and spend a lot of time on the back roads in the area. Would like a daily driver, but have other vehicles for the open road. Not really looking for a show vehicle. This came with some minor dents in the hood from a bear climbing on it. I intend to leave them there. Where we live, we are surrounded by bears, and it seems like a Jeep thing to leave them there :).
I am a car guy, though and driveline noises do bother me.

Welcome from Long Island, NY and secondarily Lackawaxen PA. I would bet the rear main seal is leaking...very common and not that big of a deal. I would do the valve cover gasket first, clean everything up and see if it still smell or drips from the bottom. I assume you have a manual as you mentioned gear oil. Swap it out for some mt-90 and drive for a while to see if the whine goes away....I would not jump to a JK until you give this one a good workout for a long while.

Reactions: Press1