A new whine has developed

BendLarry

TJ Addict
In the last few days I have noticed a new engine whine. It sounds like a power steering pump but the noise is not affected by turning the wheel. I have not had the engine wet. Turning on the AC has no effect. the sound changes with rpm. My Rubicon only has 24,000. miles. I'm new to Jeeps so any ideas? Water pump, alternator or what??

In the last few days I have noticed a new engine whine. It sounds like a power steering pump but the noise is not affected by turning the wheel. I have not had the engine wet. Turning on the AC has no effect. the sound changes with rpm. My Rubicon only has 24,000. miles. I'm new to Jeeps so any ideas? Water pump, alternator or what??
Update. The whine isn't coming from the engine compartment or can I hear it when under the rig. It's loudest under the dash. I have been doing a little bit of wiring, getting my rig setup to tow. I am now thinking it's a motor, possibly a fan motor or something buried in the dash. I may start pulling fuses to see if the noise can be isolated. Very odd, I swear it sounds just like a power steering pump.

I now believe the whine to be coming from the automatic transmission. From what I have read this seems to be a fairly common issue. The fluid color is good and does not have a burnt smell. Some say if you replace the fluid and filter it sometimes goes away. With only 24K miles it doesn't seem like I should need to do that yet.

Miles can be deceiving. An older vehicle with low miles can be just as bad as purchasing an older vehicle with high miles. Of course yours has 24k miles, so that really isn't bad. That means it was driven, it just wasn't driven as a daily driver.

These 42RLE transmissions can be problematic. Is it whining all the time? Does it whine increase with speed?

I just haven't heard of this issue in relation to the transmission before.

Reactions: BendLarry
It just started a few days ago. You can only hear it at idle. Once underway it quickly disappears. My concern is, when I first noticed it i could barely hear it, but now it's hard to ignore. We are leaving for Moab in a few days, will be towing but would hate to have tranny problems out on the trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you checked your ATF level? To get an accurate ATF level check, the engine has to be warmed up and running when the automatic transmission's dipstick is pulled for the check.

Have you checked your ATF level? To get an accurate ATF level check, the engine has to be warmed up and running when the automatic transmission's dipstick is pulled for the check.

Yes Jerry I have checked it several times running and warm. The level, color and smell are normal. It shifts normally no issues other than a noticeable... new... whine.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Miles can be deceiving. An older vehicle with low miles can be just as bad as purchasing an older vehicle with high miles. Of course yours has 24k miles, so that really isn't bad. That means it was driven, it just wasn't driven as a daily driver.

These 42RLE transmissions can be problematic. Is it whining all the time? Does it whine increase with speed?

I just haven't heard of this issue in relation to the transmission before.

Chris keep in mind a TJ doesn't come any newer than my 06 and 24k miles would be considered low for a JK built in 2013.

The crazy thing is I can put it in and out of gear? Turn the steering wheel, turn on the ac you name it and the only changes with rpm. It sounds like when you turn your steering wheel while not moving and the power steering pump whines.

I have spent some time today researching auto tranny whine. It's not uncommon but so far everything i have found specific to TJ trannys that whine also had a lot of miles and some shifting issues. Mine only has a new whine.

I would grab a mechanics stethoscope and listen to all the belt driven components. And hear's (pun intended :D) a goofy question, have you swapped out the stereo, added an amp, or anything related? And if so, does it come from the speakers?