A new whine has developed

I changed the tranny fluid and filter today. I would say that the whine is much less, maybe 50% less. There was no metal in the pan and only a very small amount of VERY fine metal on the magnet. The fluid was darker than I originally thought. I'm much less concerned about the tranny now.

One thing I would always, always, always recommend to anyone with the 42RLE transmission is the Derale transmission cooler. I think the 42RLE transmissions should have come from the factory with a transmission cooler. It prolongs the life of your transmission, and it's a must in my book. I love mine!

Here's a good thread @Jerry Bransford wrote on the subject:
How to install a Derale 20561 transmission cooler on your Wrangler TJ

It's something I would consider at some point for the long term. You'll watch your transmission temperatures decrease pretty drastically.

Reactions: BendLarry
Whine gone!!!! This morning I was driving the rig and had to make a fairly sharp turn. For the first time turning the steering wheel seemed to change the whine. Convinced that my original diagnosis was coming true, I hit the Jeep forums. Low and behold.... there was a service bulletin describing a loud power steering pump whine if the high pressure hose was to close to something else. I went out and took a look at my high pressure line. I found the problem! Last week I installed a ReadyBrake supplemental towing brake system. It has a cable that runs through a conduit from the front bumper through the firewall to the brake pedal. I had zip tied that cable along the high pressure line. I cut the zip ties... no more whine! An old troubleshooting rule I didn't apply this time... backtrack to things you have touched recently!

Reactions: Rob5589
I'm going to do a complete flush soon, since I now have a new filter. The cooler you mention Chris looks interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it's a good setup, Jerry and I both have it. Like I said, the 42RLE transmissions should have come with a cooler from the factory.

Whine gone!!!! This morning I was driving the rig and had to make a fairly sharp turn. For the first time turning the steering wheel seemed to change the whine. Convinced that my original diagnosis was coming true, I hit the Jeep forums. Low and behold.... there was a service bulletin describing a loud power steering pump whine if the high pressure hose was to close to something else. I went out and took a look at my high pressure line. I found the problem! Last week I installed a ReadyBrake supplemental towing brake system. It has a cable that runs through a conduit from the front bumper through the firewall to the brake pedal. I had zip tied that cable along the high pressure line. I cut the zip ties... no more whine! An old troubleshooting rule I didn't apply this time... backtrack to things you have touched recently!

So it was the high pressure power steering line? That's way easier of a fix than the transmission (thank goodness!).

Do you happen to have the TSB number? If so, I'd like to add a sticky on it, just incase anyone else runs into the same issue.

Chris I have searched and searched and I can't find the exact TSB I saw for a TJ, but here is one for another type of Jeep and the issue is the same. A very easy fix for me as it turns out.

TSB 19-002-03

Reactions: Chris
Interesting, I can't find anything with a search either.

Either way, at least this thread exists now, so I can always point people to it in the future!

Reactions: BendLarry
Just had this same problem with my 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Oscar Mike. The vehicle is also only 2 years old with 38K miles on it. The vehicle started whining/whirring out of no where. It made the sound mostly in idle or at low speeds. Once the truck reached about 40MPH it went away, until slowing down. Took it into the dealer took about 4 days to diagnose. They finally came back with a response looks like its the transmission pump. Thankfully I purchased an extended warranty through my finance company. Fingers crossed this solves the problem, very dissapointed this is happening with new vehicle. I also had a bad speed sensor since the day of purchase that didn't fully go out or give ABS warning signals until 37K miles.