New member with questions about lifts, wheels, and tires

Ronsch

Hi all. This is my first post so I’m brand new to this forum and also to starting on my 2001 TJ. I just posted this on another tread but that maybe wasn’t the best idea so here I go again. I would love to get some expert advice on doing some things to my Jeep and I’ve been impressed with reading posts from this group (@Jerry Bransford the Guru seems to really know stuff!!).

I want to first start with getting a new set of tires and will also get wheels to go with them. I don’t think we will be doing any extreme rock climbing but rather off road stuff to get started. I am reading about this stuff and can’t seem to get a straight answer on max potential sizes of tires to go along with the 15” wheels to get them mounted on the Jeep.

None of the vendors will answer any question other than “here’s what the manufacturer recommends but I see other people saying that it fits etc.

If I get either the 31X10.5 do I need a lift kit? what about putting on 33” inchers? I’m also thinking about 12.5” width tires. I’d like to avoid the lift kit to start but it looks like any increase in tire size might hit the front sway bar on full turn.

If I have to lift it then what is the max i can go to avoid messing up the drive train? Lastly, on the wheels there is the wheel width and back set. Does it make a difference on what backset we get. I’m looking at the Method 15X8 or better yet the 15X10” wheels that have a -24mm spec. I’m going to replace the fenders btw with something like the tubular Barracade fenders any how so I don’t expect the fenders hitting the outbound tires will be an issue.

OK, thanks for the help.

You can fit a 31” tire without a lift. However, with 33” tires you ideally want between 3-4” of lift.

The thing to pay attention to with wheels is backspacing. You want a 15x8 wheel with somewhere around 3.75” to 4” backspacing (which is the most common for aftermarket TJ wheels). That’s going to clear a 12.5” tire just fine.

Don’t waste your money on fenders unless they are true highline fenders (which those garbage Barricade ones are not). They will NOT give you any extra clearance for suspension travel contrary to popular belief.

thanks Chris. if I opt for the 3.75-4” lift do you have any recommendations on which type is best? I don’t want to mess with the drive train. And based on your info above anything other that the highline fenders should be consider just cosmetic i assume. Thanks.