New Owner Inspections

Reh3d

Supporting Member
Hey y'all. I'm a new owner and member here asking what specifically should I look for while inspecting my 98 6cyl? I've completed the normal inspections when buying a used car, like frame rust, joints and mounts, leaks, etc, etc. I've also researched the recalls and customer complaints and found this Jeep had all recall repairs completed. I'm now curious if there are specific 98 things to look out for to repair/replace.
Thanks for any suggestions!

IMG_20231006_104804142_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20231006_104813396_HDR.jpg

I’ve got an 02 so I’m not an expert but some of the problems with the 97-99 TJs I’ve read of includes leak prone radiators, bad valve springs, cracking exhaust manifolds, and problems with the cats.

I’ve got an 02 so I’m not an expert but some of the problems with the 97-99 TJs I’ve read of includes leak prone radiators, bad valve springs, cracking exhaust manifolds, and problems with the cats.

Ty, I've checked the manifolds, exhaust, and radiator and they looked good everywhere I can see. Radiator is actually relatively new. Not hearing anything like a tick or clunk and the compression between cylinders is +-15. Not sure if that'd tell me much about the springs specifically, tho. Thanks.

I'd make sure it has an oil dipstick after reading this on another forum. :unsure:

"I got my oil changed and noticed afterwards that my dipstick was missing. Garage said it was missing. Any ideas why?"

"Common occurrence…especially when wheeling with the hood open thru low brush and limbs. The dipstick can get hung on branches and pull out while the drivers vision is obscured by the open hood over the windshield, many times its never noticed until you take it to a Jeep dealership to get maintenance done. The qualified mechanic is trained to be aware of such situations."