New problems after lifting the Jeep

Jacket4256

TJ Enthusiast
So I got a lift installed on my TJ this week, and well I caused problems that I had to be a lot worse.

Background 3 inch Zone lift on a stock 2003 Jeep TJ 150k 4.0 5 Speed

I had some wobble before the lift in the 55mph range not bad not super shaky but it was there and worse under braking when engine and pedal were combined, now its at a lower speed and a lot lot worse more like a death wobble than a shake. I knew my track bar at the top driver side was bad the bushing is shot, and it was definitely on my list of things to fix soon but now seems to be a priority. The wobble is greatly felt on the driver side compared to the passenger.

The Jeep was aligned post lift and the only thing that was out was the camber ? I think suppose to be 4-5 degrees and mine was 3.5, said it would be fine but should look into upgrading to adjustable lower control arms to sort this out.

What I am looking for advice with is trackbar recommendations and where to begin on the process of getting this thing sorted. I want to stick with a name brand company but is one of the higher brands better or are they all the same when your talking quality companies? The place I got my lift suggest going with the Metalcloak for the track bar.

The next thing to upgrade would be the front lower control arms, and I am also kind of lost there I would like to eventually do them all over time. I was going to go back with Metalcloak here as well but also scene some people talk goo about the Core 4x4.

Don't do anything else...
Don't think anything else...

Until you get the track bar remedied.

Don't second guess the thing to death and look for reasons it can't be a track bar and don't spend weeks thinking on which is the golden goose buying a simple component.

JKS would be the one I'd recommend.

Moreover...did you get longer swaybar links. Nobody ever sees the importance of these.

You put a lift on and if you didn't address the sway bar links have shitty suspension performance.
Maybe you're only building a pretty Jeep instead of fuction but your sway bar is being pulled downward now and that isn't good.

Example.. your track bar is too short. So by keeping it your front axke is now shifted to the left.

Your sway bar links if still stock length are pulling down your sway bar.
Things are fighting each other.

Neither of the above you want.

JKS sway bar disconnects of the proper length and JKS adjustable track bar should be in your immediate future!!!

You'll get a zillion replies on this but what I listed above are good product for the $$$.

Good luck

Sway bar end links where replaced to the proper length for the lift kit, I didn't spend the extra coin on quick disconnects because I didn't think that I would utilize them with my plans for the Jeep.

So easy enough, I will order track bar tomorrow. Only reason I was even thinking about going with metalcloak over the JKS which has been mentioned here a few times was I could get it this week from my local shop.

Metal cloak's TB requires drilling out the axle side bolt hole to 9/16", and the frame side to 5/8", so no going back. JKS's TB requires drilling out the frame side 916".

Metal cloak's TB requires drilling out the axle side bolt hole to 9/16", and the frame side to 5/8", so no going back. JKS's TB requires drilling out the frame side 916".

Would there be a benefit or risk going either way, I know the bolt is bigger so therefore stronger but is there anything else I am missing ?

The metalcloak is 180ish and the JKS is 280 but can not tell any real difference minus what you posted

Or you can do what I've done on several (12) of my Jeeps. Cost me $1.24 at Lowes for a new 10.9 grade bolt, washer and nut. New stock track bar was $45. I've never had any issues doing it.
TRACK BAR HOLE (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Last edited:
Or you can do what I've done on several (12) of my Jeeps. Cost me $1.24 at Lowes for a new 10.9 grade bolt, washer and nut. New stock track bar was $45. I've never had any issues doing it.
View attachment 236303

I am going to at the minimum have to replace my bushings on either end, they are basically done done why I figured if I got to take it off might as well just replace it for something beefier.

So I got a lift installed on my TJ this week, and well I caused problems that I had to be a lot worse.

I had some wobble before the lift in the 55mph range not bad not super shaky but it was there and worse under braking when engine and pedal were combined, now its at a lower speed and a lot lot worse more like a death wobble than a shake. I knew my track bar at the top driver side was bad the bushing is shot, and it was definitely on my list of things to fix soon but now seems to be a priority. The wobble is greatly felt on the driver side compared to the passenger.

The Jeep was aligned post lift and the only thing that was out was the camber ? I think suppose to be 4-5 degrees and mine was 3.5, said it would be fine but should look into upgrading to adjustable lower control arms to sort this out.

What I am looking for advice with is trackbar recommendations and where to begin on the process of getting this thing sorted. I want to stick with a name brand company but is one of the higher brands better or are they all the same when your talking quality companies? The place I got my lift suggest going with the Metalcloak for the track bar.

The next thing to upgrade would be the front lower control arms, and I am also kind of lost there I would like to eventually do them all over time. I was going to go back with Metalcloak here as well but also scene some people talk goo about the Core 4x4.

Even the slightest movement or looseness of the track bar can cause wobble. Jks is the way to go.