New / Refurbished Cylinder Head Journey

00TJOH

So here is my journey on tracking a Cylinder 1 Misfire.

Had the popular P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire code. Dead Miss. After replacing all of the easy stuff (coil pack, plugs, tps, etc) I ran a compression test. I had 90PSI on Cylinder 1.

So since it was already in the garage at work and I had access to any tool I would need, I pulled the head. The exhaust valve on cylinder 1 is not seated. Obviously my issue. I have talked to several mechanics at work and they no jeep guys. They would possibly have a 0331 head laying around that I could install. Obviously they would check it out and make sure it is good. Or i could just buy one off the shelf. Looks like there are several options. from $378 to $700.

And that is where I sit. My jeep is a second vehicle for me so it isnt a big deal for it to be sitting but id like to get it on the road soon. Any advise on my next step in buying a cylinder head???

FWIW i bought this from my father in law who had a "new engine" put in when it shot a rod thru the oil pan. I dont know what they replaced and didnt replace.

So here is my journey on tracking a Cylinder 1 Misfire.

Had the popular P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire code. Dead Miss. After replacing all of the easy stuff (coil pack, plugs, tps, etc) I ran a compression test. I had 90PSI on Cylinder 1.

So since it was already in the garage at work and I had access to any tool I would need, I pulled the head. The exhaust valve on cylinder 1 is not seated. Obviously my issue. I have talked to several mechanics at work and they no jeep guys. They would possibly have a 0331 head laying around that I could install. Obviously they would check it out and make sure it is good. Or i could just buy one off the shelf. Looks like there are several options. from $378 to $700.

And that is where I sit. My jeep is a second vehicle for me so it isnt a big deal for it to be sitting but id like to get it on the road soon. Any advise on my next step in buying a cylinder head???

FWIW i bought this from my father in law who had a "new engine" put in when it shot a rod thru the oil pan. I dont know what they replaced and didnt replace.
I'm replacing the valve springs on cylinder 1 in a week or two because of the same issue. If If the head is not cracked, and the valve seat isn't dropped, maybe replacing the valves and springs wouldn't be a bad idea for the time being.

I did just pick up a 0630 casting head from an older model. Looks like I’ll have some exhaust manifold work to do as well as some brackets for coil rail. But I couldn’t pass the deal up

Reactions: Ephry73
I guess my question is now, can I just buy a exhaust manifold gasket that fits that head and use my existing dual manifold setup

Anyone have experience with the exhaust adapter that someone on another jeep forum makes? or I've seen double gasket (one to match the head and one to match the manifold), or just using either or gasket?

And I just put an 0630 head on and bolted everything up to realize there is no drilled hole in the head for idler pulley. I need a beer