New running boards / steps

Joeinnewjersey

TJ Enthusiast
Recently removed the Quadratec running “tubes” as they were rusting. Was wondering what you guys and gals are using as side steps/running boards/whatever you want to call them…

Is this jeep a driver that doesn't need every inch of ground clearance? If so just buy another set of the tub steps that every vendor sells. Or how about finding oem side steps?

If you are playing in rocks then I have a different answer

Reactions: John Cooper
Is this jeep a driver that doesn't need every inch of ground clearance? If so just buy another set of the tub steps that every vendor sells. Or how about finding oem side steps?

If you are playing in rocks then I have a different answer

Occasionally take it down some trails and forest fire roads in the new jersey woods

Reactions: John Cooper
I was in the same situation, swapped for OEM steps. Can find for free - $75 depending on their condition.

before and after.

85859109-056A-4605-9AFB-E5961B3A8391.jpeg

F513878C-9B19-4AD0-9D15-EE5B189C3DCE.jpeg

1668717163261.jpeg

I had the original stock TJ side steps. I never really liked the look but I need something for my girls to be able to get in and out.
The drivers side step was broken when I bought the Jeep and though I tried to repair it a few times I gave up. I purchased a set of body mounted sliders but I bailed on them because I didn't want to drill into the body to mount them. I ordered a set of Body Armor TJ-4121 Rockcrawler Side Guards from Q-Tec.

For me they are more minimalist side step than slider. I wouldn't recommend them if you're truly looking for a slide (truth told, no slider that is mounted to the body mounts as these are should be relied on as a true slider). My TJ is a DD and sees outer beach sand and marginally maintained dirt/rock fire roads. I am not sliding on them. There, I said it.

For my needs, they are a fantastic option. The tube is wide enough to get a foot on it. They are absolutely strong enough for me stand, and jump, on them. Installation was about a half hour.

2022-10-16 TJ Body Armor Sliders 01.jpg

The nice thing about the oem steps is there's a good chance the nuts are already in the frame so it's a matter of bolt on and go. I would absolutely, positively never drill holes in the tub or frame for a set of steps just my .02

I still have the chrome side steps on mine. I will be going to some slider steps this spring.

Unlike @TheBoogieman chrome don't get you home!!!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Now you made me self-conscious about painting my whole Jeep chrome. :(
p.s. I bought some cheap sliders years ago to keep people from opening their doors on my mint old 03'. 🤫
SLIDERS.jpg

Last edited: