New soft top and hardware

SeanTJ

Hi guys,

I’m based in the UK and looking to change my hard top to soft top for summer, can anyone recommend the best soft top, hardware and company to purchase it from? I have a 1997 wrangler TJ

Thanks in advance!

Another vote for Bestop! I installed the Bestop Trecktop NX. Couldn’t be happier with it. Easy to install. Easy to use. Frameless as well.

Yep, Bestop Super Top NX here. Love it, specially the sunroof portion. LOL :D

D7zD214mSfaO7%jvAqnAbw.jpg

5y+tQlUIRGyaFROlZsF0lw.jpg

Get the Bestop Supertop NX which includes the top and all the hardware needed. Go for the Sailcloth version of the top. The Supertop NX kit includes all the major and minor components including the door surrounds, supports, brackets, screws, header, literally everything needed to convert from a hard top to soft top is included. https://www.bestop.com/jeep/1997/wrangler/supertop-nx-soft-top-2/

Think I’m folding my sunrider back wrong[emoji23] does this way help prevent flapping? I just fold mine back but not like a taco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually folded mine back like you were doing the first time I did it. In a way I kind of liked it like that because you still sat somewhat under the top but it let the light and air in. I was thinking I may be doing it wrong because when I looked at it closer, it appeared to be kind of pinching the material in that very first fold section that the arrow is pointing to.

We have to stop on my explanation for a sec. I have to admit right now, that I thought I was doing it wrong like I said above, but I went to find the video I found of them folding it like in the above pic with the arrow, and I ended up watching the one that was in the Amazon ad for my top. They fold it back like I did the first time, seen in this pic.

So I guess there is no wrong way of doing it.

As far as preventing flapping, I would say I didn't know it was flapping. LOL When I folded it in half, like the second pic, all I noticed was it kind of was pushed down a bit. I never got on a freeway with it though. Top speed was about 55 for about 2 miles and it just pushed it down.

In all honesty, I haven't driven with it folded like the pic with the arrow. I was just experimenting, trying to see how I thought I saw it folded in a video because of seeing being pinched.

Here is either the Amazon ad, click on the video where it shows they are on the beach that is in the ad. It shows them folding it back.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004P23X6W/?tag=wranglerorg-20

EDIT to ad..... I found a video of them folding it like in the pic with the arrow, but it is on a JK, they do explain that on some older models they have to plastic tabs you have to pull out of the channel. This is still not the video I saw the first time. I can't seem to find it now. LOL

Last edited:
Just wondering where the purple latches were... :)

LOL, I haven't painted anything purple in the interior. YET. LOL I have put purple lights and I am currently waiting on purple LED lights for the instrument cluster. LOL

I actually folded mine back like you were doing the first time I did it. In a way I kind of liked it like that because you still sat somewhat under the top but it let the light and air in. I was thinking I may be doing it wrong because when I looked at it closer, it appeared to be kind of pinching the material in that very first fold section that the arrow is pointing to.

View attachment 83942

We have to stop on my explanation for a sec. I have to admit right now, that I thought I was doing it wrong like I said above, but I went to find the video I found of them folding it like in the above pic with the arrow, and I ended up watching the one that was in the Amazon ad for my top. They fold it back like I did the first time, seen in this pic.

View attachment 83937

So I guess there is no wrong way of doing it.

As far as preventing flapping, I would say I didn't know it was flapping. LOL When I folded it in half, like the second pic, all I noticed was it kind of was pushed down a bit. I never got on a freeway with it though. Top speed was about 55 for about 2 miles and it just pushed it down.

In all honesty, I haven't driven with it folded like the pic with the arrow. I was just experimenting, trying to see how I thought I saw it folded in a video because of seeing being pinched.

Here is either the Amazon ad, click on the video where it shows they are on the beach that is in the ad. It shows them folding it back.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004P23X6W/?tag=wranglerorg-20

EDIT to ad..... I found a video of them folding it like in the pic with the arrow, but it is on a JK, they do explain that on some older models they have to plastic tabs you have to pull out of the channel. This is still not the video I saw the first time. I can't seem to find it now. LOL

Thanks for this, but I realized earlier today that the fastback version doesn’t do this, it just directly folds back I think I could just strap it down when I do so to stop the minor flapping, or leave it. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KimsJeep
Yep, Bestop Super Top NX here. Love it, specially the sunroof portion. LOL :D

View attachment 83837

View attachment 83838
Hey there... New to Jeeps and this forum. I have a 2003 TJ and the Rampage frameless top is falling apart. Your pics, an the conversation here sold me on on the Bestop Supertop NX. I am shocked at the price difference between Twill and Black Diamond. Can you tell me which way you went and why?

Hey there... New to Jeeps and this forum. I have a 2003 TJ and the Rampage frameless top is falling apart. Your pics, an the conversation here sold me on on the Bestop Supertop NX. I am shocked at the price difference between Twill and Black Diamond. Can you tell me which way you went and why?
Here's a basic rundown on soft top materials that might be of use. https://www.quadratec.com/c/howto/differences-between-soft-top-materials

Twill is a type of material. Black Diamond is a color/style.

I'm fairly new to Jeeps too. I've only had mine since Jan this year. I went with the black diamond because the twill was just out of my price range. I would have liked the twill but I really couldn't afford the black diamond so no way I was going to pay that much more for the twill. I had to have a top though so good old CC to the rescue. LOL

I also read and don't know how true it is, that the twill is a nicer material as far as thickness and all, but it also is less forgiving on the trails and could get damaged easier then the black diamond. I also heard that twill is a little quieter then the black diamond, as far as wind/road noise.

I will say that I am happy with my purchase, and luckily back when I got mine, it was on sale and was a little over $800. I see they are in the $1000. range now. I would buy it again if I had too. It was nice that it came with all the hardware and was somewhat simple to figure out how to install. Dealing with Bestop customer service is good too. I had a part come off of mine and they were quick to get back to me and ordered the part I needed and had it shipped fairly fast. If they would have had it in stock, it would have been faster, but it was still a decent turn around. :D

This is a great forum... especially with me being so new to the Jeep world. I am sold on Bestop... and all seem to agree with the quality.

In my recent search for a new soft top for my 2003 TJ (with a disintegrating and leaking Rampage frameless soft top)... I see the Bestop option at ~$1500 (I need upper doors); that's a ton for me. The new QuadraTop Gen II Complete Soft Top with Upper Doors is coming in $600 less!!! I truly get the Bestop value, but does anyone have experience with this new QuadraTop?.... or reasons to avoid it? At this price difference, I would try it and return if it's a problem, but since I never had a top frame on this Jeep, I'd hate to be drilling holes for the mechanics and brackets which would potentially have to be re-drilled/re-positioned if I have to move to Bestop later.

Thank you in advance. -M

Last edited:
This is a great forum... especially with me being so new to the Jeep world. I am sold on Bestop... and all seem to agree with the quality.

In my recent search for a new soft top for my 2003 TJ (with a disintegrating and leaking Rampage frameless soft top)... I see the Bestop option at ~$1500 (I need upper doors); that's a ton for me. The new QuadraTop Gen II Complete Soft Top with Upper Doors is coming in $600 less!!! I truly get the Bestop value, but does anyone have experience with this new QuadraTop?.... or reasons to avoid it? At this price difference, I would try it and return if it's a problem, but since I never had a top frame on this Jeep, I'd hate to be drilling holes for the mechanics and brackets which would potentially have to be re-drilled/re-positioned if I have to move to Bestop later.

Thank you in advance. -M
In my opinion, and if I read your post right, I would not risk drilling into my Jeep for a product that is not proven. The top of the line Bestop? Absolutely, I would.