New Tires

Patrick Moroney

Supporting Member
I have 33x12.5x16 tires on my 2002 TJ, I was thinking about changing the tire to a 10in wide instead of the 12.5

I think the handling would be easier on the paved road and not throw so much on the side of the jeep.

So my question is would I need to change the rim as well or can I use the same ones I have?

Thanks for any insight,

New to the jeep world

Patrick

You're correct, the 10" wide tire will do better on road for sure (hence the reason I run 10.5" wide tires on road).

What size are the rims you have now? I assume they're 16x8 or something close? If so, you can run the 10.5" tire without issues on those rims.

You're correct, the 10" wide tire will do better on road for sure (hence the reason I run 10.5" wide tires on road).

What size are the rims you have now? I assume they're 16x8 or something close? If so, you can run the 10.5" tire without issues on those rims.
Yes they are 16" not sure about the width

Thanks for the help, this site is Awesome!

Going to Moab early next year so will tap your insight on that soon.We never have been.

No problem at all, happy to help! Glad you're getting good use out of the site. It's nice to have a place dedicated to TJs!

Moab should be fun. I've never been, but once the kids are a little older, we'll be making a trip there as well.

I have 33x12.5x16 tires on my 2002 TJ, I was thinking about changing the tire to a 10in wide instead of the 12.5

I think the handling would be easier on the paved road and not throw so much on the side of the jeep.

So my question is would I need to change the rim as well or can I use the same ones I have?

Thanks for any insight,

New to the jeep world

Patrick
I'm a fan of skinnier tires. I had 33x9.50x15 KOs for years. Loved them. Absolutely the best for pavement. I now run 33x10.50KOs and use an ancient 33x9.50x15 as a spare. As for mud on the side of the Jeep, There is no way to avoid that unless you buy a CJ at least 50 years old. The tire is past the body on every "Wrangler" for the past 50 years.

8" rims are the recommended choice for most 33x tires out there. Check the spec for the tire you want !!!

Wider tires, 12.50s etc only add flotation. Great on a beach. A bitch thru a puddle at 60.

I'm a fan of skinnier tires. I had 33x9.50x15 KOs for years. Loved them. Absolutely the best for pavement. I now run 33x10.50KOs and use an ancient 33x9.50x15 as a spare. As for mud on the side of the Jeep, There is no way to avoid that unless you buy a CJ at least 50 years old. The tire is past the body on every "Wrangler" for the past 50 years.

8" rims are the recommended choice for most 33x tires out there. Check the spec for the tire you want !!!

Wider tires, 12.50s etc only add flotation. Great on a beach. A bitch thru a puddle at 60.
No joke on the mud puddle! I run 33x10.5x15 also. Ko2s. There actually closer to 32 but drive great

I’ve been going back and forth on the 10.5 vs 12.5 question. The problem with going for a 10.5 is selection, there’s not a wide selection. The problems with a 12.5 are throwing crap on the Jeep, but that can be fixed with wider flares, and flotation, which is an issue you can solve with defensive driving under wet conditions. Any additional thoughts are appreciated!