New TJ owner advice on factory fuel tank skid

Richarnc

Hello in a new Jeep owner. I’ve been wanting a Wrangler for a while now so when I came across a 1999 automatic, with 84k miles, no accidents, and one owner I jumped on it. I drove it back 4 hours from Georgia and it did pretty well. The next day I took a more thorough look at it in my driveway and saw this rusted spot. I’m hoping this part can be replaced. Anyone know the name of this specific part? What it’s purpose is and where I can order a new one to replace it?

Thanks!!

A87DC4E5-7317-4CEB-A9C1-E8BCF9D4E36B.jpeg

Hello in a new Jeep owner. I’ve been wanting a Wrangler for a while now so when I came across a 1999 automatic, with 84k miles, no accidents, and one owner I jumped on it. I drove it back 4 hours from Georgia and it did pretty well. The next day I took a more thorough look at it in my driveway and saw this rusted spot. I’m hoping this part can be replaced. Anyone know the name of this specific part? What it’s purpose is and where I can order a new one to replace it?

Thanks!!

View attachment 292946
Sorry, can't be replaced. You have to throw the whole Jeep away now.

Don’t! Double check that shipping cost first

That shipping cost is accurate for the size of the package.

I ship things regularly via UPS. If you haven't been paying attention to what inflation has done to shipping costs, get with the program.

I can guarantee you that skid plate is over $150 to ship. So no, that shipping cost is in NO WAY whatsoever out of line.

Sorry man, but the days of cheap shipping are gone.

• Angry
Reactions: Plumber1

I ship things regularly via UPS. If you haven't been paying attention to what inflation has done to shipping costs, get with the program.

I can guarantee you that skid plate is over $150 to ship. So no, that shipping cost is in NO WAY whatsoever out of line.

The shipping cost may well be reasonable, but at more than the part it is still a lot. I think the point was to possibly hang on and look for something that may be more local.

The shipping cost may well be reasonable, but at more than the part it is still a lot. I think the point was to possibly hang on and look for something that may be more local.

For local you can always start here:

https://www.car-part.com
I will say that that one I linked to is one of the best condition factory skids I've seen in a long time.

Take a look at the others on eBay and they're all very rusted. Yes, you pay the higher shipping cost with this one, but I suppose it saves you the time and labor of cleaning up a rusted one.

Either way, I have no dog in this fight, I just went for the cleanest one I could find.

Don't forget Facebook Marketplace. Depending upon your location, you can find a lot there. Search for "Wrangler TJ Parts" and you'll often find someone parting out a TJ, and you could pick up one of these for pretty cheap.

FYI, @Richarnc , keep in mind that when you drop that gas tank skid plate, you'll be removing the entire gas tank in the process. It's not too bad, but not something you want to realize as you remove the skid! You can see my notes, from the first time I did it, here. (Scroll down to item #3 of "Process to Date".)

When you do it, you should definitely seize the opportunity to look for other rust in the area, because if there is rust there, there is likely rust elsewhere, and you won't have access to that part of your Jeep very often.

Might post and see if any has there old one that upgraded to a Savvy GTS, may find one for cheap or even free
I did but I don’t think I have the box anymore. OP Let me check today and see if I have the box, if so you can have my original skid for the cost of shipping.

Reactions: UKTJ
Might post and see if any has there old one that upgraded to a Savvy GTS, may find one for cheap or even free
Yep, I give them away out of the stack I've collected pretty often. We only keep the very nice ones and we've thrown as many away as we've kept. Anyone headed to his part of the world from SoCal is welcome to snag a nice one for him.

Reactions: UKTJ and Zorba
At least that eBay seller isn't insisting on shipping the thing Priority Mail like so many others do when shipping large and heavy objects! Chris is right - shipping ain't cheap anymore, and that's probably as good as it gets. Talked at length with a member here about a set of Rubicon sliders - $90 to ship!

Thanks so much about to order this bad boy now!
Be aware that although the fitment of the late 02 to 06 is fully backwards compatible, the early partially enclosed skid is what you have which is not nearly as good as the later one you are looking at. Don't buy a year specific, they are not really that good.

Reactions: Zorba

Oh I completely understand that. My apologies. I should completely write out what I’m thinking each time. Rock Auto has the mopar skid, brand new, for 164 shipped. I’ve been researching them a bunch recently because I need to do mine too.

*edit Here:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=52100219AB