New TJ owner, asking for help

Foxrider

Hello,

I’ve been reading quite a lot of threads on the forum and just today decided to join the forum. It can become a bit complicated reading older threads on a topic as there’s a lot of discussion that’s hard to keep up with everything, being completely new to this..

I am seeking some advice for my recently acquired Jeep sahara 2001 with a 2.5” lift with 30” tires with dana 30,35 3.07 axles.

The doubts I have are:
  • Since I have to replace my rear axle, is it recommended to change gear ratio at once?
  • How much transfer case drop do I need? And/Or is an upgrade to SYE needed?
  • Rear shocks are rubbing against the spring base, is flipping the shocks the correct solution?
  • Rear track bar is touching the exhaust, do rear track bar relocation mounts exist for this or does this have to be fixed with the exhaust?
  • Do I need adjustable or fixed control arms with the 2.5” lift?
I’d really appreciate your opinions and any other recommendations you might have.

Hi and welcome.
A few pictures will help.

What is wrong with the rear axle?
Are you planning on rum bigger than 30” tires?
For 2.5” is not much need it but track bar making contact with the exhaust and shocks rubbing the spring base is telling little more. Again pictures wold help. Seems like you have or a cluster or more than 2.5” of lift.

• Since I have to replace my rear axle, is it recommended to change gear ratio at once?
  • How much transfer case drop do I need? And/Or is an upgrade to SYE needed?
  • Rear shocks are rubbing against the spring base, is flipping the shocks the correct solution?
  • Rear track bar is touching the exhaust, do rear track bar relocation mounts exist for this or does this have to be fixed with the exhaust?
  • Do I need adjustable or fixed control arms with the 2.5” lift?
Why do you have to replace the rear axle? Regardless, you can throw in a rear axle with the same gearing, or regear both the front & rear, it's up to you.

The TC drop depends on your driveshaft angles. The angle coming off the TC needs to be the same as the angle on the rear diff, so the TC needs to be dropped to whatever level makes that happen. From what I understand an SYE & double cardan driveshaft isn't necessary on that amount of lift.

For the rear shocks & trackbar, do you have any pics?

Hi and welcome.
A few pictures will help.

What is wrong with the rear axle?
Are you planning on rum bigger than 30” tires?
For 2.5” is not much need it but track bar making contact with the exhaust and shocks rubbing the spring base is telling little more. Again pictures wold help. Seems like you have or a cluster or more than 2.5” of lift.
@Jorge Bolivar @qslim

Here are a few pictures.. as you can see the rear axle mounts are in no good shape (I don't believe the mounts are the correct ones for a tj) and is also leaking on one side of the differential.
A local mechanic suggested it would be more convenient to get another axle than to fix this one (open to other opinions however)
And yes I am planning to go with 35" inch tires in the near future.

Anyhow the previous owner has already cut away a piece of the rear spring bases so the shocks don't touch here. I'm guessing this will most likely not be a problem using the correct mounts for the shocks?

In the last picture you will see the track bar slightly above the exhaust when the jeep is at a standstill, however there is slight interference when driving. Also if you pay attention to the mount of the track bar it has been customized to reach a little higher, other wise the exhaust would be in the way of the track bar.

I already ordered the original sized mounts and it comes considerably lower than what it has now, so no doubt the exhaust would disturb it.

IMG_5364.jpg
IMG_5366.jpg
IMG_5367.jpg

@Foxrider

First, Seeing this make me think that you will have a wild ride fixing other stuff around the TJ correctly.

Not sure why but, Sensing that you need to run away from your local mechanic.

The leak is fixable replacing the correct seals and perform the job correctly.
I just re do my rear axle brackets with parts from Barnes 4WD https://www.barnes4wd.com/ only a good weld or/fabricator is need it if you do not weld.

An axle swap is always a good upgrade is the TJ is Dana 35 equipped. But somethings is not easy to find a Dana 44. That’s why some fellows go with the super 35 upgrade to runs bigger tires if lots of off-road use.