New to Jeeps

Jacket4256

TJ Enthusiast
Just wanted to post and say Hello, I am new to owning a Jeep as a fun vehicle. My wife had a JK in college and I never really liked it truthfully. Fast forward about 10 years and somehow my 4 year old convinced me to sell my 47 Chevrolet Loadmaster and buy a Jeep. I wanted something more of a Jeep than the JK was and started looking for a TJ locally and after looking at a few and I found a 2003 4.0 X in silver. So far loving this thing did some maintenance and replaced a few things already doing a small lift soon and plan on going to 33s. I am thankful for the wealth of info on here. I have read a lot and learned a lot over the last little bit of being on here.

The only issue I have at the moment is these stupid torx bits that seem to not hold up very well, I have 2 that are stuck on my lower door hinge anyone have any tricks on removing them ? I am thinking about drilling them out ??

I will have to post a few, I have tried some heat on it, the heads on them are just about shot though from trying to get them off. I have tried the hammer impact on it as well.

Get some impact rated torx bits. Almost every torx bit I have ever had had a twist in it by the 3rd or 4th use.😫 Or it broke off at the 1st use.🤬

This may or may not help...
Pull the inner door panel off and see if you can get something like a wire brush toothbrush to clean up the internal threads and then hit it with some Kroil a few times a day for a couple days, then try and back them out.👍
I'm not positive you can get to the inside part of the door hinge, but it seems like it should be easy to do.🤔

Reactions: JMT and Modoc Guy
I got all but two out by hammering the proper size Torx bit in and using an impact driver on them. They had all been heated, and supercooled penetrant.
Two of them I drilled out, took off the hinge and they came out with vise grips. I date drilling them but the were completely stripped out.

Get some impact rated torx bits. Almost every torx bit I have ever had had a twist in it by the 3rd or 4th use.😫 Or it broke off at the 1st use.🤬

This may or may not help...
Pull the inner door panel off and see if you can get something like a wire brush toothbrush to clean up the internal threads and then hit it with some Kroil a few times a day for a couple days, then try and back them out.👍
I'm not positive you can get to the inside part of the door hinge, but it seems like it should be easy to do.🤔

yea all mine are impact rated only broke one so far, but I am afraid to push too hard on them to strip them out, I will try hitting them with some knocker loose, they are the bottom hinges so easy to get to on the inside.

You need an impact driver...
No...not an air gun...
This 👇👇👇👇👇👇
20201022_164639.jpg

Then with right bit smack end with hammer.

Good luck

I have a similar situation with the bolts holding my transmission skid plate on, they were replaced with hex heads and they are so stripped I cannot get them off because there is nothing left to grip onto. I got a bolt extractor kit but I am worried about messing up the threads with it, I tried it for a little but gave up because it wasn't working

Welcome to the forum! And welcome to the black hole money pit that is the Jeep addiction!

X2 on the Kroil, or knock-r loose if that's what cha got. And if ya do have to drill 'em out, I usually do a 1/8" pilot hole, then drill it out the tap drill size, then run the proper size tap through it. I NEVER use an easy out on things like that. Too easy to break off the easy out, them you're really stuck!