New to jeeps

Ryan

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys, my name is Ryan and I'm from michigan, I have always been into cars mostly foxbody mustangs building them up and drag racing them etc... but I have always wanted a jeep wrangler TJ and I finally pulled the trigger on one a couple weeks ago. It's a 2005 wrangler TJ, it is one of the cleanest jeeps I have seen around in a long time not a spot of rust on, its originally from North carolina. It has a 4" rough country N2O lift sitting on 35" bfgoodrich ko2's, has the 4.0 with an automatic transmission. Had to work through a few issues so far one being a bad parking pawl that I had to replace and a rear driveshaft u joint but other than that I am extremely happy with my first wrangler purchase and have a lot to learn about these rigs lol

20170930_132657.jpg

Hey guys, my name is Ryan and I'm from michigan, I have always been into cars mostly foxbody mustangs building them up and drag racing them etc... but I have always wanted a jeep wrangler TJ and I finally pulled the trigger on one a couple weeks ago. It's a 2005 wrangler TJ, it is one of the cleanest jeeps I have seen around in a long time not a spot of rust on, its originally from North carolina. It has a 4" rough country N2O lift sitting on 35" bfgoodrich ko2's, has the 4.0 with an automatic transmission. Had to work through a few issues so far one being a bad parking pawl that I had to replace and a rear driveshaft u joint but other than that I am extremely happy with my first wrangler purchase and have a lot to learn about these rigs lol
Very nice! Just wondering - did the person you got it from give you any info on whether the axles have been re-geared? 35's and the 42RLE auto tranny need it with that combo...

Reactions: Chris
Awesome, welcome to the forum Ryan. Congratulations on your Jeep. Now if you Just Empty Every Pocket you can make it more than you ever dreamed of. Welcome to the addiction!

Smart looking TJ and I agree....that thing is spotless !! Welcome to the forum looks forward to seeing more of your new toy.

Nice purchase! I hope the underside is as clean as the top side? If so, that's a good find.

Very nice! Just wondering - did the person you got it from give you any info on whether the axles have been re-geared? 35's and the 42RLE auto tranny need it with that combo...

Thanks, the previous owner did not know what gears were in it nor did he do the lift and all the work to it. but there is no way they are stock because this thing is no slouch at all, it does around 2600+rpm at 70'smph. when I put the new girdle covers on I'll count the teeth on the ring and pinion and do the formula to figure exactly what I have.

Awesome, welcome to the forum Ryan. Congratulations on your Jeep. Now if you Just Empty Every Pocket you can make it more than you ever dreamed of. Welcome to the addiction!

Thanks, oh I know that feeling with my other hotrod projects there always a money pit , I'm already getting addicted to this jeep lol. Waiting till tax time and will be looking at front and rear bumpers, winch, rock sliders, girdle covers etc....

Reactions: JMT
Nice purchase! I hope the underside is as clean as the top side? If so, that's a good find.

Thanks, yea the underside is extremely clean only under pic I have is this one but the worst looking part is the exhaust system lol. And here's a pick of the floor board

20170929_221458.jpg

20170929_181033.jpg

Thanks, yea the underside is extremely clean only under pic I have is this one but the worst looking part is the exhaust system lol. And here's a pick of the floor board
Looks really clean under there. I don't care where you might live, exhaust systems will rust, unless you have stainless steel. Congratulations on the purchase.

'Girdle'? Differential, I am guessing...I've not heard that one before.

Thanks, oh I know that feeling with my other hotrod projects there always a money pit , I'm already getting addicted to this jeep lol. Waiting till tax time and will be looking at front and rear bumpers, winch, rock sliders, girdle covers etc....
I’m waiting for the same thing, taxes, and will be looking at rock sliders as well! :D

Looks really clean under there. I don't care where you might live, exhaust systems will rust, unless you have stainless steel. Congratulations on the purchase.

'Girdle'? Differential, I am guessing...I've not heard that one before.

Thanks, yea girdle cover "differential cover" same thing girdle covers are supposed to be stronger and help strengthen the axle... not sure by hown much. the pic is of the one I have on my mustang. Looks way better then stock lol

20170613_153241.jpg

Looks like a clean underside to me! Make sure to treat it so you don't develop rust, especially being in Michigan! These things are notorious for rusting frames.

Nice rig man. I wouldn't worry too much about replacing the diff cover. 35s and a Dana 35 rear (I'm assuming) you'll break an axle before you need to worry about the housing too much. Do yourself a favor and get a winter beater. Would be a shame to drive that in Michigan during the winters with all the crap they throw on the roads. Where in MI are you? I'm just north of Grand Rapids, so I know how hard you looked to find a clean TJ here!