New to me 06 and a turn signal/marker light question

Dmorton

Hello everyone, I just purchased a new to me 2006, and with any used vehicle, there is always a few things that need to be done. In my case, I purchased the vehicle in Maryland and I live in PA. Apparently, Maryland doesn't do yearly inspections like PA. Anyway, the previous owner put smittybilt XRC flat fenders on, and basically took the marker light (incandescent bulb) and stuck it through the 3/4 inch hole on the front of the fender and zip tied the turn signals up under the fender. I do not believe this will pass PA inspection, so I ordered some JK front turn signals and i am going to install them in the grill like a CJ. I was planning on getting some LED marker lights and replacing the incandescent marker lights in the fender with LED's. I was not going to do LED turn signals. Does anyone see an issue with this plan? I am wondering if the LED marker lights and still having regular incandescent turn signals would mess with the blinkers due to the decreased draw of the LED's. The LED marker lights are 2 wire, which match the stock incandescent lights, so I am thinking that it should be a pretty simple project.

Thanks
Drew

LED lights not only draw less current, they are also diodes which means they block current flow in one direction. That can cause major headaches since some circuits reverse the current flow through the bulbs when the headlights are turned on. Which means they won't work properly after swapping those bulbs with LEDs. There is a way around that problem for LED bulbs by installing a bridge rectifier at those bulbs which keeps the current flow through the LED going in the right direction. But it takes some electrical expertise to get it done correctly.

Personally I'd stay with incandescent bulbs in the turn signal and side marker circuits to avoid the problem.

Reactions: pagrey
I agree that it would be easier, and I have no issues with the incandescent bulbs. However, Im sure they wont pass inspection like this, and it looks bad and just isnt functional.
20190818_212010.jpg

The LED marker lights will be fine as long as you keep the incandescent turn signal bulbs. I have the same setup on my Jeep.

I would be fine using the incandescents if they came in some kind of housing that would fit in the 3/4 hole on the fender and not just the actual bulb sticking out. I just can't seem to locate anything that would work as well as the LED's that are basically made for the 3/4 inch hole.

You can do what I and many have done, not use that hole at all for the turn signals. I installed JK turn signal enclosures on my TJ.
images.jpeg

You can see it looks good and it works perfectly. The JK bulb enclosure holds the OE TJ turn signal bulb holder perfectly.

That photo was taken just before I installed side marker lights into the edge of the aluminum PSC fenders.

Reactions: Dmorton
LED side marker lights don't work properly when the headlights are on.

The side marker lights do not work exactly as factory unless you get a LED light with three wires made for that type of application. When using a two wire LED you can wire it so when the lights are off the LED marker will be off (like stock) and the turn signal works normally. When the lights are on the turn signal will be in running light or parking light mode and the LED will be on. When the turn signal is activated the turn signal bulb filament will light up being brighter and the LED will turn off but will turn back on when the turn signal blinks off so it will be an alternating flash like stock. It is not “proper” but depending on the kind of vehicle inspection it may pass.

You can do what I and many have done, not use that hole at all for the turn signals. I installed JK turn signal enclosures on my TJ. View attachment 110487

You can see it looks good and it works perfectly. The JK bulb enclosure holds the OE TJ turn signal bulb holder perfectly.

That photo was taken just before I installed side marker lights into the edge of the aluminum PSC fenders.
I have the JK enclosures on order and plan to do this. Its just the marker lights im worried about. I will probably take them out, remove the bulb, and zip tie them up under the fender and hope they pass inspection. The way I am reading the PA inspection code, it doesn't say anything in particular about marker lamps. So I may be able to get away with it.

The side marker lights do not work exactly as factory unless you get a LED light with three wires made for that type of application. When using a two wire LED you can wire it so when the lights are off the LED marker will be off (like stock) and the turn signal works normally. When the lights are on the turn signal will be in running light or parking light mode and the LED will be on. When the turn signal is activated the turn signal bulb filament will light up being brighter and the LED will turn off but will turn back on when the turn signal blinks off so it will be an alternating flash like stock. It is not “proper” but depending on the kind of vehicle inspection it may pass.
This is exactly how mine work right now, with incandescents in the turn signals and marker lights. With my headlights off, when i put the turn signal on, both my turn signal and marker light blink at the same time. With my marker light or headights on, my turn signal will increase in brightness as my marker light goes off, so it is basically as you describe. I do not have a stock TJ to compare with and this work was already done when i bought the jeep. There are no LED's on the jeep right now.

I have the JK enclosures on order and plan to do this. Its just the marker lights im worried about. I will probably take them out, remove the bulb, and zip tie them up under the fender and hope they pass inspection. The way I am reading the PA inspection code, it doesn't say anything in particular about marker lamps. So I may be able to get away with it.

I think the bulb mounted in the hole would be more likely to pass than something zip tied in place. I could be wrong though. Does PA still pass vehicles with duct tape "body work" covering rust holes?

Here is a pic of my setup. The marker light is attached to a piece of aluminum with a 90 degree bend in it. It is held to the fender by the bolts that hold the hood latches.

jeep-turn.jpg

Yes, LED like this one: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lights/Optronics/MCL13A2B.html

There are three wires in the original setup, I cannot remember what they are but one of the wires is white with a stripe that is different on the driver's side and passenger's side, those are the wires I used from what I remember. I think the common wire is white with a yellow stripe, that one I just left disconnected.

Yes, LED like this one: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lights/Optronics/MCL13A2B.html

There are three wires in the original setup, I cannot remember what they are but one of the wires is white with a stripe that is different on the driver's side and passenger's side, those are the wires I used from what I remember. I think the common wire is white with a yellow stripe, that one I just left disconnected.
Thanks. My original marker lights are 2 wire, the turn signals are 3 wire.

As an update, I purchased two LED 'nickel' lights from tractor supply for use as marker lights. They were cheap enough that if they didnt work, it was no big deal. Cut the old incandescent marker lights off, spliced in the LED's and they work as I assume they are supposed to. I did blow the incandescent bulb on one of the turn signals after installation, but I hope that is just a coincidence. I had a spare bulb and put that in and it seems to be working fine. I think when I get the JK housings installed, it should be a pretty clean look. Hopefully it will pass inspection in PA. I think my biggest problem now is my tires stick out past the fenders about 2 inches.