New to me Dana 44 front axle

Weasellee

Jeep idiot
Supporting Member
As i move towards gears and selectable lockers I’ve decided it’ll be done with a Dana 44 front to match my stock Dana 44 rear. As mentioned in my “is it Currie “ thread I picked up this TJ rubicon axle. See some photos and let me know what you think. The stock 4:10 and air locker are here and I’m promised the locker works but it’s sat “awhile”.
My plan is to go with an E locker so this carrier is up for grabs. Point me in the right direction to test it out and let me know what it os worth. I’d definitely prefer to keep it off marketplace.
Notice the rough looking steering stabilizer and track bar mounts. I already have some Barnes replacements from a WJ front axle swap Dave and I just did on his TJ.
Everyone in my club is big on bracing the C’s and sleeving the tubes. I’m definitely gonna get a pair of LCA skids

Before any $ is spent on this I need to get my LJ out of the transmission “tranny is a no no” shop and do a bit of frame repair 😜

So nevertheless this is the start to a slow regear and 44 front axle swap.

🇺🇸

D48D7542-0FCF-4D52-94DA-BE728E480060.jpeg

CA6BA3F1-FACA-4EAA-941C-D6615845BD25.jpeg

E8B6B312-707A-42A1-B01A-4D8F7D62A33F.jpeg

56820B6D-3D19-4BEB-85AB-5C681B676397.jpeg

86EAB287-5A97-4EC9-B2CF-346FE8262ACE.jpeg

A8F0E674-44F7-4686-959F-0ADE5239EFE7.jpeg

6DC335BD-3910-48AE-9A96-AF3DFABD72F3.jpeg

9F048A29-4BDA-4343-9898-8F9BE9255C2D.jpeg

Looks like you have a bit of work to do cleaning up the bugger welds near the drag link/stabilizer but other than that a wire wheel and some paint will make it look new.

Typically I'd say something about the metal shavings but sounds like everything inside is being replaced.

If you're running 35s dont bother with the sleeves or braces. Skids on the lower control arms would be good though.

Last edited:
Looks like you have a bit of work to do cleaning up the bugger welds near the drag link/stabilizer but other than that a wire wheel and some paint will make it look new.

Typically I'd say something about the metal shavings but sounds like everything inside is being replaced.

Of you're running 35s domt bother with the sleeves or braces. Skids on the lower control arms would be good though.

I should note. I would like to eventually try 37’s out, maybe. But for now 35’s are the goal.

Reactions: BC Moto
I should note. I would like to eventually try 37’s out, maybe. But for now 35’s are the goal.

I'm sure a 37 debate will start soon but @Daryl has 37s on his rig, I believe its a stock 44 axle, as far as sleeves and c's go, and hasn't had any issues. He's certainly doesn't baby the thing either.

The biggest thing you'll hear from the crowd will be about ball joints.

I'm sure a 37 debate will start soon but @Daryl has 37s on his rig, I believe its a stock 44 axle, as far as sleeves and c's go, and hasn't had any issues. He's certainly doesn't baby the thing either.

The biggest thing you'll hear from the crowd will be about ball joints.

Ball joints? I’m listening

Your Dana 30 yoke will go right on the 44 so the driveshaft ujoints match. Use a non rubicon seal from your rear 44. Then shorten the front shaft if the slip has no side play.otherwise a tom woods is a good choice.

Idk if you have abs but its easy to delete.a non abs fitting on your proportioning valve and line extensions will work. I used a full stainless non abs line set.Or put your Dana 30 knuckles and outer shafts on the Dana 44 and keep abs.

Use spicer balljoints!

I'm jealous, Lj's are sweet!

Your Dana 30 yoke will go right on the 44 so the driveshaft ujoints match. Use a non rubicon seal from your rear 44. Then shorten the front shaft if the slip has no side play.otherwise a tom woods is a good choice.

Idk if you have abs but its easy to delete.a non abs fitting on your proportioning valve and line extensions will work. I used a full stainless non abs line set.Or put your Dana 30 knuckles and outer shafts on the Dana 44 and keep abs.

Use spicer balljoints!

I'm jealous, Lj's are sweet!

Love it all

Thanks for the info on the yoke since this axle came without. I think with the 4” spring lift my front shaft should be fine with the new axle depth. No abs so no worries but since my 30 knuckles are fresh with new timkin bearings and BMBrakes I’ll be swapping them over with new to me spicer ball joints i stole a full set for $40 NOS off a guys shelf. I may go for the C gussets but skip the sleeves. IDK. I’ll keep listening….

Love it all

Thanks for the info on the yoke since this axle came without. I think with the 4” spring lift my front shaft should be fine with the new axle depth. No abs so no worries but since my 30 knuckles are fresh with new timkin bearings and BMBrakes I’ll be swapping them over with new to me spicer ball joints i stole a full set for $40 NOS off a guys shelf. I may go for the C gussets but skip the sleeves. IDK. I’ll keep listening….
No need for C gussets, the TJ Dana 30 and front TJ Dana 44 are regularly run on extreme-level rock crawling trails and bent C's just aren't something that even comes up. 35's is the best tire size limit for those axles but some insist on running 37's and they're not squawking about bent C's. Good decision on the inner sleeves, they don't really do much if anything.

Reactions: Daryl and RINC
I think with the 4” spring lift my front shaft should be fine with the new axle depth.
Better put the Dana 44 on the bumpstops and check needed driveshaft length before assuming that. Lift height doesn't affect that measurement. The Dana 44 yoke will be over an inch rearward compared to the Dana 30

Reactions: Irun and Alex01
Better put the Dana 44 on the bumpstops and check needed driveshaft length before assuming that. Lift height doesn't affect that measurement. The Dana 44 yoke will be over an inch rearward compared to the Dana 30

If fit is an issue a Woody will be the solution.

Reactions: Alex01
As i move towards gears and selectable lockers I’ve decided it’ll be done with a Dana 44 front to match my stock Dana 44 rear. As mentioned in my “is it Currie “ thread I picked up this TJ rubicon axle.

Don't know if it was mentioned in your other thread, but I've heard most D44s for sale are bent.
Might want to get it checked.

Yeah that Dana 44 looks pretty bent to me. Completely useless garbage.

Just send me the address and I’ll pick it up off your hands 😉😉

• Haha
Reactions: Weasellee
I wouldn't worry about gussets or sleeves. Before I had my Rock-Jock 44, I literally abused the HP30 I had in the front and never had any issues. I've only had the new front axle for 3 years or so.

Going to 37's will eventually elongate the ears where the ball joints go or kill the joints themselves. Reason why I haven't gone more than 35s on my rig. You know how I drive.

Reactions: Weasellee
Anyone have a recommended price tag for me to sell the factory locker to another forum member? I’m not looking to get rich but also don’t wanna sell too cheap.