New to me LJ and opda problems

Rick

Eugene, OR (EUO), Eugene, OR, United States
Hi everyone! I'm new to this group but not new to jeeps. I Currently have a 1982 CJ-5 and this newly acquired 2005 LJ( only 33,000 miles, but already acting like all jeeps I've ever owned ). A few days after getting it home from So. Cal the engine light came on. The first corrective action was to get the PCM flashed. I checked around with local shops and they all said i had to go to a dodge dealer to have this done. So after the pcm flash and a new cam sensor the problem became the Opda. As you can see the gear is very worn. With the new unit installed it throws a code at 4800 rpm. My guess is the gear on the cam is worn out as well causing too much movement and then coding out. So now i'm on the hunt for a new cam shaft. Any suggestions on brand/Aggressiveness? The engine is stock, 4.88. gearing, NV 241OR T-case.
IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_1564[1].JPG
IMG_1565[1].JPG

Reactions: Chris
First and foremost, what brand OPDA did you replace it with?

If you used the Crown OPDA (which is most common), did you use the Crown OPDA sensor that came on the new OPDA?

BTW, welcome to the forum! There's a crap ton of us Oregonians on here. I'm from Salem myself, and then there's @Stinger, @TJ4Jim and @StG58, just to name a bunch of other TJ owners from Oregon!

Reactions: Stinger
I'm only asking because if the dealer used the sensor that comes on the Crown unit, it's quite notorious for failing. Most people remove the sensor from the OE Mopar OPDA and re-install it on the new Crown OPDA to avoid issues.

So I would make sure that they used the OE Mopar OPDA sensor and not the one that came with the Crown unit (which I'm guessing the did). That could be the issue right there, since it's an issue a lot of people have had.

If you're certain it's the cam gear (which it very well could be), I'm not sure who makes performance cams for these engines, but the first place that comes to mind is Hesco.

Well, there ya go... At this point I'd probably just throw on a new cam gear and call it a day.

I'd save up for a V8 conversion if it was me (that's what I'm doing).