New to TJs and looking to buy, need some advice

MadcityTJ

Hello everyone, i'm new to Wranglers and i'm in the process of finding a relatively clean example for daily driver duty as well as light offroading for excursions into the north woods of Wisconsin and hauling my bikes around. i've got several leads, but i need some advice about what constitutes acceptable frame rust and what's repairable. one of the candidates is in generally ok condition, though it has 195,000 miles. one of the frames rails looks like this, however.
IMG_1802_zpsqzekamno.jpg

is this repairable? the guy wants $4500. is that a good price? comes with hard and soft top. the rest of the jeep looks like this:

01212_fApNth7VFz9_1200x900.jpg

IMG_1803_zpsymdflbhx.jpg

IMG_1800_zpsivvi9xu0.jpg

IMG_1808_zps2yinvwhp.jpg

Thanks for helping a newbie!

Holy cow... Stay far, far, far away from that thing. That frame is just waiting to snap in half from that rust (it happens too!). Rust is a Wranglers worst nightmare. If you can afford it, you ought to look to spend more money and get a TJ that is rust free. That rust is very, very bad. The resale value with that sort of rust is next to nothing.

Walk from that one. Looks like it would be a pretty thorough resto. New KO2s on the front look good. Rear is old style KOs tires. Hard top would be worth some money but they screwed in the racks. I dunno looks like a lot to fix. What other leads did you have?

Reactions: MadcityTJ
well this one is 20 minutes away from me, and the price was really appealing. the others i have as leads are an hour away and are at the top of my price range. looking to keep it close to $6k.

one of the other candidates:
01010_gPuvZ7olRnP_600x450.jpg

00j0j_bKFFwAtRQno_600x450.jpg

$6,900, 190k, Ford 8.8 rear end and Tummy Tuck. way overbuilt for my needs, but it looks really nice.

other one is less nice, but comes with a plow. waiting on underbody pics. mileage unknown as of yet:
00s0s_G9stfbWf6i_600x450.jpg

That frame looks roached too. The second one was obviously a plow rig if it comes with one and you can expect the frame to be rusted as well. 6k is gonna be a hard number to stick with if you want a solid tj. Deals are out there, but if the frame looks like those don’t throw 6k away.

totally, i really appreciate the help. i'm hoping to go look at it on Sunday afternoon. tlaked to the owner via phone this evening and he said that it has been driven in the summer only in the 3 years since he boxed the rear frame and did the Ford 8.8 setup, and he keeps it stored in the pictured climate controlled storage during winter. definitely sounds promising, and what paint/rust is there i could likely sand and POR. if it's too bad, i'll walk away. i've got the cash on hand, but i don't technically have to buy until mid year.

Reactions: Starrs
totally, i really appreciate the help. i'm hoping to go look at it on Sunday afternoon. tlaked to the owner via phone this evening and he said that it has been driven in the summer only in the 3 years since he boxed the rear frame and did the Ford 8.8 setup, and he keeps it stored in the pictured climate controlled storage during winter. definitely sounds promising, and what paint/rust is there i could likely sand and POR. if it's too bad, i'll walk away. i've got the cash on hand, but i don't technically have to buy until mid year.
Nice with a private seller cash is king so you can dicker a bit too. Yea I’m gonna do some POR15 and possibly some Eastwood in my frame when the weather changes. I just had my frame undercoated with rustoleum before this winter and it’s held up really well.

There are some good ones out there, just gotta keep hunting for them. I feel your pain as I am currently looking as well. The problem with being in the Midwest is the road salt. Worst thing ever. Eats bodies, frames. locks nuts in place, etc. I am going to expand my search out outside my area (IL/WI) border because there's slim pickings nearby! Went it comes to frame rust a small rubber mallet or dead blow will tell you all you need to know about frame rust. A good frame will "ring" when you tap it, any areas that are bad will just thud. Of course ask the owners permission before banging on the frame rails. The first thing I'm gonna do when I find a decent TJ is pull into the garage and address any surface rust on the frame I find. Clean it up, paint it, and coat it with anything and everything I can to keep any rust from re-appearing.

Another suggestion folks on here have given me is take an 8oz ballpeen hammer and use it to test the frame and bits. If it has a nice clear ring, then it's good - if it thuds or sounds mushy, run like hell.

I might also add that I personally think it’s impossible to find a mostly rust free TJ in good condition for 6k, unless maybe it’s a 4 cylinder SE model.

I’d love to be proven wrong, but any TJ I’ve seen in that price range is a project (which is fine if you don’t mind a project) and has serious rust.

But hey, I would love to be proven wrong!

some more underbody shots of the crawler. looks pretty goo to me, except for one of the body mount points. i'm not looking for something that's going to last a decade, probably more like 5 years.
Resized_20180222_094508_zpsazvtfksg.jpg

Resized_20180222_094404_zpsaidjspnz.jpg

Resized_20180222_094356_zpsrzkn6rqu.jpg

worst one
Resized_20180222_094350_zps6obeayxe.jpg
Resized_20180222_094344_zpsm4z6y0xv.jpg

Resized_20180222_094333_zpscyhydole.jpg

Resized_20180203_145147_zpsfmxyny5p.jpg

has a little dent in the windshield frame, but doesn't look like it would affect much, just a character builder.
Resized_20180203_145203_zpswqym624w.jpg

I do wonder about the soft top at the top, however, doesn't look sealed. how much do replacement windshield frames run?

the other TJ with a plow looks salty underneath, but doesn't look as bad as i thought. that said there's definitely rust under there.
image1_zpshc6p7huq.jpg

image2_zps00sy9ved.jpg

image3_zpshxj6gnqw.jpg

image4_zpsscof6jkl.jpg

image5_zpscergkfee.jpg

image6_zpsvxovcair.jpg

image7_zpslqu2whxo.jpg

I like the other one better, but a wash, internal and external coating of this one might be ok for my length of ownership?

the other TJ with a plow looks salty underneath, but doesn't look as bad as i thought. that said there's definitely rust under there.
View attachment 32707
View attachment 32708
View attachment 32709
View attachment 32710
View attachment 32711
View attachment 32712
View attachment 32713
I like the other one better, but a wash, internal and external coating of this one might be ok for my length of ownership?
Run from a plow jeep. Inside of the frame is going to be shot. Don’t worry about the outside on that one...worry about tj inside. Rust from inside out. The simple fact that it was a plow jeep makes it worthless.

Reactions: derekmac