New to Wranglers is this too much rust to buy?

Mattjeep417

Hello, I am looking at buying a 2002 TJ with 84000 miles. I wanted to post some photos of underneath to see if this rust is an issue. This would be my first Wrangler purchase. Any help would be great. Thanks.
3951F2F0-07AC-43DB-8F92-1DB85ED827FE.png
75ECD9F3-0A55-4B3D-AEB7-4D28BC6C58B2.png
4CC2F150-580A-42E8-ABCB-9C8A0C89541D.png
7689D2D8-E55B-4628-8128-BA05F781604D.png
1B19AC13-4C54-4C72-98CA-BD936243C983.png

If it's not a show stopper, it's close. Kinda hard to tell from the photos, some close up's would be better. Try and look/feel inside the frame for additional rust. Looks like a project to me, are you up to a project?

Reactions: Mattjeep417
You can find nice Jeeps in Alabama/Tennessee with no rust. There are much cleaner, non molested ones out there.

You can find nice Jeeps in Alabama/Tennessee with no rust. There are much cleaner, non molested ones out there.
Thank you. This one is in TN but spent most of its life in NC. $7500 was the price but I would rather not have to do a lot of work. I thought this one might but a deal. The rust really concerned me.

From your post I gathered you are at a point in life that you just don't want a headache.

There is a place in Athens ,Alabama called Gilbert Jeeps , and he has his inventory online . Sells nice stuff mostly .

Good ones are out there , owned by older folks usual , never wheeled . Expect to pay more , but usually you can buy it and just enjoy it .

Look for rust , bad lift jobs , bad handling /driving , and general abuse .

I wouldn't touch it... but then again, over here on the West Coast, we are spoiled with rust free TJs.

My biggest concern would be underneath that transfer case skid. The frame rails under there are a very, very common point for rotting out. Given the rust on that skid plate, I wouldn't be surprised if the frame rails under there are almost completely rotted out.

I'd stay away from it personally. I can guarantee you if there is that much rust on those parts, there is also that much rust hiding inside the frame and other places you can't see as well.

My advice is to walk away. There are much cleaner, rust free TJs out there for the price.

2 things- I’d seriously doubt that thing has spent its whole life in the south with that much rust. I haven’t seen that since I left New England.

And, with that much surface rust, the insides of the frame and body have got to be much worse.

I’d keep looking if I were you.

If you want a dealer recommendation, North Georgia Truck and Jeep in Cartersville is great to deal with. Not too far from TN either.
I had a problem with a fuel pump in my LJ after I bought it. He sent a tow truck to my house 2 hrs away to come get it.

Thanks for the response and feedback. I think I will keep looking from what I have learned here. I live in East TN and we do get a fair amount of salt each year on the roads.

It seems that when this question is asked, "is this too much rust?", the collective/majority answer is to keep looking. If it has enough rust to ask the question, it's likely too much rust!!

Good luck with your search!

It seems that when this question is asked, "is this too much rust?", the collective/majority answer is to keep looking. If it has enough rust to ask the question, it's likely too much rust!!

Good luck with your search!

I say “probably yes” before I click on the threads usually.

I dont touch them if theres any rust inside the frame. Period. It makes it difficult to find them in ny but there around. You pay a premium price for them though.

I'm of a slightly different opinion...I didn't see too much rust on the frame. I saw a lot of rust on the crappy long arms and whatever the lowered the T-case with. The frame does have some rust though, so that should be examined. The real problem I see with that jeep is the crappy longarm lift on it from Skyjacker. That will be nothing but problems in the future. And, since the factory mounting brackets were cut off to run that awful lift, you're kinda stuck...so, unless you want a project...keep looking.