New Tow Pig - Considering a Topper - Thoughts?

I would be interested to know how the newer one compares.

Old truck: 800 foot pounds and 400 ponies.
New truck: Nearly 1100 foot pounds and 475 ponies.

Approximately the same weight. Would be cool to see which one would pull harder. It’s all about traction at that pount - so maybe a tie?

I abuse the Jeep, but not the tow pigs…🙂

Reactions: Wildman and BlueC

Approximately the same weight. Would be cool to see which one would pull harder. It’s all about traction at that pount - so maybe a tie?

I abuse the Jeep, but not the tow pigs…🙂

I wasn't meaning you had to pull them against each other. I'm looking forward to your thoughts when going over I70 with it.

My parents '14 was a nice truck but the new ones are really nice trucks and impressive when you couple that power and torque with a 10 speed.

I'm assuming your new one is a '21 or '22?

Reactions: NashvilleTJ

I'm working with older vehicles here, so no experience with anything from the last 10-15 years. I can't help but wonder how the drive line, especially the transmissions, are holding up with towing. How many miles did you put on your older truck and any major issues?

I'm working with older vehicles here, so no experience with anything from the last 10-15 years. I can't help but wonder how the drive line, especially the transmissions, are holding up with towing. How many miles did you put on your older truck and any major issues?

120k - a big chunk of that towing the Jeep. Never any driveline related issues. I did have to replace the fuel system once, thought. All in all - happy enough with the old Ford to get another.
I wasn't meaning you had to pull them against each other. I'm looking forward to your thoughts when going over I70 with it.

My parents '14 was a nice truck but the new ones are really nice trucks and impressive when you couple that power and torque with a 10 speed.

I'm assuming your new one is a '21 or '22?

Went from a '12 to a '21 - so I just switched the numbers around. This one is a Platinum with only 11k on it, and it's spotless. Jumped on it when I saw it.

While I really love my A.R.E. topper with one flip up side window I have considered trading it for one of the new high top ones with "walk in" back doors. The entire rear part where the door is also opens up like an SUV lift gate for easier access.

You can get dual slider windows that also lift. Not cheap at over $5,000 but offer good accessibility, as good as you can expect when working out of a pickup which is not as ideal as a van. The lifting rear eliminates having to lower and crawl over the tailgate while ducking under the rear window. BTW that's a nice looking truck!

are.jpg

Yup. It’s the big tow package with the cameras, backup assist, etc. The old one did great, but this one takes it to another level.

Wanted to check and make sure you realized it. I bought the 3” weigh safe hitch for mine. Made my 2” F150 receiver look like a play toy.

I think the trucks with the 7.3 gasser only get 2 1/2” receivers.

I have a topper that i put on when i want to take my truck camping and I'll be changing locations often,especially when its rainy,wet,snowing or bears/cats are an issue.
I inflate a queen mattress and leave it and bedding in there. Lift it up and shove coolers and totes under it while driving.

Nice part is setting up camp is just starting a fire and pulling a couple things out of the back.

My dad used to have a topper on his F150 and had a toolbox similar to what you have in the front. I think he had to install the top and then install the tool box so that the tool box was sitting on top of the topper flange (which was sitting on and clamped to the bed flange). I always thought it was a pain to have to climb up in the truck to get something out of the toolbox but he never seemed to mind. It was an 8' bed and I slept in the back of that thing all the time using a cot.

Nice new truck! Can't wait to see it in person. You planning on doing any type of rig shakedown before you head to Moab? If so, let me know if I am available I will definitely join in on the fun!

When I bought my 2016 half ton (which I later traded for my current 3/4 ton), it had a Leer topper, bedrug, and slideout from the previous owner. I wanted the topper, but planned to remove the rest. After having it for a few months, I kept it all. The slideout was the best thing ever. I can't find any pictures, but I had a small toolbox (around 34"Lx18"Wx15"T) I kept secured to the slideout. When I needed the full bed space to haul plywood, I just moved the toolbox out, and put it on top of the wood.

They make several attachments for the slideouts as well. Plus, it's easy to fab up stuff for them on your own. I miss that truck a LOT. But I needed a 3/4 ton and a full crew cab. Still considering a topper and slideout for it, but i don't ever drive it so it's hard to justify the cost.

20240421_042345.jpg

20200906_140057.jpg

20240421_043257.jpg

Last edited:
Just to close out this thread, I did decide to stay with my existing Truck Covers sliding cover and tool chest. Mainly because it fit the new truck, which I did not expect. So, I transferred it over, and it will do for now. I can always pick up a topper in the future. For now, I'm happy with the easy access to the tools - and I've always liked how it looks.

IMG_0119.JPG