New use for old axle shaft

dom.robles

so i broke an axle shaft a few months back and its been laying in the backyard for awhile now. i was just wondering since i guess its a relatively common break if anyones ever found a new use for a shaft like this. it seems like such a nice piece of metal it feels a shame to just throw it out. i read somneone used it as an extension lever for their H-frame press. love ideas like that so if you have any let me know! thanks!

Two decent ideas so far.

This one might be somewhat crazy but when my son was working as a diesel truck mechanic he brought home two damaged semi size full floating axle shafts. They laid around for a while but eventually one of them disappeared. I don't remember the details but someone modified it into either a chisel or a punch to be held by someone else while he beat on it with a large sledgehammer. I think the crazy part was that someone else actually decided to hold it.

Reactions: Blondie70
My grandfather owned a Ford dealership. He had so many broken axle shafts from Model A and Model At’ she used them as fence posts for the sheep pen. You just need a hundred or so more...

Reactions: Blondie70
I saw one long time ago driven into the ground by a mud hole with one end of a big chain hooked to it with the other end of the chain hooked to an alligator. Guy's pet, I guess.