New winch switch set up

Did you just run solid power/ground straight from the winch to the battery?

Well I am doing that right now. Since the winch came with the cables already installed I am going to wire them straight to the battery.

I am working on a strategic way to route them.

I know what you are saying. it is a double edged sword. I want to be safe but I want the most power going to the winch as I can. I am going to go the power route.. I have ran many winches this way and hasn't been a problem, but I do take extra time to route wires.

Well I am doing that right now. Since the winch came with the cables already installed I am going to wire them straight to the battery.

I am working on a strategic way to route them.

I know what you are saying. it is a double edged sword. I want to be safe but I want the most power going to the winch as I can. I am going to go the power route.. I have ran many winches this way and hasn't been a problem, but I do take extra time to route wires.
I need to order some cable for my winch, excited to see how you route it. So I can sure I don’t make any stupid mistakes :D

I have everything wired up now. I have my in cabswitch wired and working as well as my remote working.

FYI the cables that came with the winch are 2 gauge, so may make a difference how you route if you go 1 gauge.

I wrapped mine in plastc conduit all of the way. I ran the cables behind the bumper and under the core support then immediately straight up and in between the AC line and the body, then the postive i routed between the body and the fuse box to the postive of the battery and the negative i ran in between the fus box and the air box to the negative.

I still have to zip tie and put cable ties on, but it looks like a good route so far.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
So they are really close to the AC line. Maybe more close than I like I may re-route these down the frame to the bottom of the batteries and up. Not sure yet. stay tuned

Here's how I routed mine. I did see one possible rubbing spot under the fuse holder so I just glued a small piece of rubber there.

IMG_20171202_175130247-600x1067.jpg

IMG_20171202_175155715-600x1067.jpg

IMG_20171202_175203785-600x1067.jpg

IMG_20171202_175209390-600x1067.jpg

IMG_20171202_175223478-800x450.jpg

IMG_20171202_175230077-800x450.jpg

Here's how I routed mine. I did see one possible rubbing spot under the fuse holder so I just glued a small piece of rubber there.

View attachment 26348

View attachment 26349

View attachment 26350

View attachment 26351

View attachment 26352

View attachment 26353
This is exactly the route I was planning with either plastic conduit or techflex braided sleeving (I have both so either can be used). Still trying to figure out the best wire gauge to go with, 2/0 sgx cable is available on ebay for not that much mulah for the short amount of cable I need. Price is negligible compared to 1/0 or 2 gauge sgx. Probably overkill but I don't think its a bad thing here.

I’ve been wanting to do this, so I am following close and will come back when I do it! Thanks to all who contributed.

I found it much easier to hook the remote up to the winch, and run the controller end over the hood and thru an open window on my door. I just do that when I go wheeling, or when I need the winch.

Also, my M800 came with a wireless remote, so there’s that :)

I DO like the idea of having a switch inside the cab though.
See post #11 by @mrblaine. His way was what I was thinking would be the easiest and most full proof method. That’s what I’m going to do! If I want a separate remote I can just buy another one. But I’m almost always in the Jeep running the winch.

View attachment 26348

View attachment 26349

View attachment 26350

View attachment 26351

View attachment 26352

View attachment 26353

Did you route yours up the radiator channel or between the AC lines? I did it both ways and can't decide what I like better. There is a lot more room up the channel next to the radiator, but I imagine it could get really hot. and I imagine that the AC line will freeze so it could get really cold. I can't find a good route coming up behind the radiator,

Looking at your picture again. Your jeep is newer and your AC line is under your fuse panel. Mine doesn't go that way. Mine goes from the firewall straight to the condenser and since yours is laying on your cold side, mine is in between the body and the cold side just inside the side wall. I am thinking that is going to be OK. Probably better cold than hot. I will probably leave it like that, and watch it.

Basically mine is routed exactly the same way depending on where your wires come up in front of the air-box

BTW have you turned in your rebate. I am asking because I am going to send mine out tomorrow. and wanted to remind you to get your 75 bucks!!

I will show pictures tomorrow when it is completely done. It looks pretty good.

Did you notice if your front end dropped any with the added weight?

Ya not a whole lot, but it was already low to start with especially in the front. I don't remember what the measurement is, but there is not much room for the tire and the flare now. I think I am going to only go 2in OME.

Reactions: bobthetj03