Newbi Head Replacement

Potomus Pete

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Last week my 2.5 T J started sputtering so I pulled over with a bad cylinder. I had white smoke out the back so I had it towed home with the thought of a head gasket. I just stripped the whole motor down with great ease. I can't believe how well it came apart, and how good everything looks. My question/problem is I had a pool of antifreeze under the motor and I couldnt tell where it was coming from. My head gasket shows no signs of damage . Should I see a confirmation of a problem with the head gasket. Im getting a new head and hoping its going to solve it

Been a week...how goes the project @Potomus Pete ?

I just did an 04 WJ head gasket... pulled the head, cleaned everything up and slapped it back together with new bolts.

You should see spots on the gasket where it was leaking... send some pictures.

-Mac

I'm waiting on some extra money on the 5th. Planning on driving to Clearwater head to get one. Im putting on a new chain tensioner. It's time to order up all the small extras so what gasket sealer should I get for all purpose down there? Can I clean gasket areas with 600 or 800 sandpaper or is that a no no. Thanks for checking in

Head gasket I sprayed with copper gasket stuff. Think it was permatex. I did the intake and exhaust seal too for shits and giggles.

Didn't use the thermostat housing gasket. Cleaned it up and sanded both sides with 230.

Had the owner clean the head, intake and exhaust. Mostly with simple green, brake cleaner and paper towels. Told him the job would be as good as you cleaned it.

Checked the deck and heads with a straight edge and they looked as good as I'm not a machine shop as they could be.

My sealer of choice is right stuff. You can buy it in 10 oz caulk gun tubes. Seals in 1 minute. Good to 400 degrees. Had that thermostat housing back together, reassembled everything, primed the fuel pump a couple of times and that 04 WJ 4.0 lit right up. That was the only place I used RTV.

Good luck! Does Clearwater have better prices in shop?

-Mac

Thanks Mac. I was wondering about the copper spray. Glad to use it. The intake/exhaust manifold is a wacky set up with the bolts across the top set up. I am definetly thinking how Im going to seal those up. When I see these videos on putting the valves together Im used to the Ford method of TDC doing each valve tightening at a time. Jeep seems to just put it on and bolt it down 7lbs. Too easy to be true

Reactions: macleanflood