Newbie from NC

WildBill49

I just bought a '98 Wrangler Sport with manual 5 speed. Love it. I'm older and have wanted a jeep since I watched folks tooling around in WWII era jeeps in the 50's and 60's. I have a lot to learn about restoring some things and in building it to what I'd like.....with as little as know now. I'm hoping that I can get a good bit of info from this forum.

Simmer down Robinator! All kidding aside, Welcome to the forum. Lot's of knowledgeable folks over here. Don't be shy, let's see a pic of your ride!

Reactions: LTTJ and Rob5589
Got lots to do with her. I have a little surface rust on front of hood and on grill from rocks hitting it. The fender flares are dull/gray. I don't care for the spice/tan top. The odometer indicates 169,000 miles but the engine was replaced and the rebuilt replacement has about 80,000 on it. It doesn't take a bump very good and it probably needs new shocks,etc. Seems to run great. It's a start.....

Thanks! I believe that it was/is lapis blue. Doesn't appear to have ever been repainted. I do have some spider web like cracks in the paint on the front end of the hood. A paint job will have to wait a little while though.

The paint cracks are pretty typical for the TJ. Mine is doing the same. The hoods get pretty toasty, so I sure that doesn't help the paint any.

Got lots to do with her. I have a little surface rust on front of hood and on grill from rocks hitting it. The fender flares are dull/gray. I don't care for the spice/tan top. The odometer indicates 169,000 miles but the engine was replaced and the rebuilt replacement has about 80,000 on it. It doesn't take a bump very good and it probably needs new shocks,etc. Seems to run great. It's a start.....
Better :D I agree, the spice top doesn't really go with that blue. The flares can be painted, heat gunned, or replaced. I painted mine and they had been painted previously. But after scraping bushes and crap, they looked beat so I replaced them with a set of Crown replacement flares. Check out all the suspension components for looseness with the dry steer test. If you do need shocks, the Rancho 5000x is a great shock, they ride very well on the TJ.

Welcome! I love the color! One thing about Jeeps- there is so much after market stuff available for them that the top should be very easy to replace! [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum Bill! Post some photos of your TJ when you get a chance.

Nothing beats owning a Wrangler, I'll say that much.

Welcome to the club. Lots of great info and smart people here. Ask the questions and you'll get honest and good advice.

Reactions: Chris
Wild bill welcome.

I too am relatively new to this. Although I live in OHIO, I bought my LJ just down the road from you in Raleigh NC. This site is pretty informative with some different and informative views and some good communications about fun as well as technical things that I would never of thought about on my own.

as I've said and believe. Old is not in my vocabulary so jump right in and enjoy ur Jeep. As I've learned. Getting in my jeep just makes me feel happy. Wild bill. I like it.

Welcome @WildBill49 The guys and girls on here are very helpful and knowledgeable too... There is always somebody here that can help or give you guidance. Love the colour too..(maybe I'm bias though haha) @Kevin E would approve of your colour I'm sure as well. ;)

Last edited: