Newbie needs advice on possible TJ purchase

Xposure

TJ Enthusiast
Hello! I’ve never had a Jeep but my son likes them so I’m shopping for one that we can use to have fun with and take some road trips in. I’d also like him to be able to use it daily when he gets his license. I’m looking at one that’s about 3 hours from my house and hoped if I posted some pictures I have that maybe you guys could give me advice regarding this suspension set up. It has a small lift of I think 2” and tires are just 31x10.5. Do you guys think the suspension setup will be good for daily street use, long trip, as well as having off-road fun?

Thanks for any feedback!
Stephen

EB748EAE-EF24-4A96-8D71-8444A1008A18.jpeg
0946E243-90DA-4200-8FC3-2DFDCC50EF9A.jpeg
0AFE837B-3EB6-48AC-B7C2-445F01878313.jpeg
813AE6DC-4659-41B6-9E57-772D93B7348F.jpeg
DDB7D46A-E221-48D1-90F1-26961FC3A22B.jpeg
C4FACC44-2883-489C-BA19-5074E4FCA0D5.jpeg
D7941B12-F22C-498D-8E28-618FC5C74BC6.jpeg
4EB58AA0-6AD7-4F7D-BFC4-9C66339040DC.jpeg

Last edited:
First, 2" of lift and 31" tires would be perfectly fine for the highway, and get you through most things off road with the exception of big rocks. Of more concern would be rust, and the photos show it being pretty rust-free. You don't have any photos of the body, but if it looks like the suspension and frame, it's definitely worth checking out. Miles? Model? Which transmission?

Reactions: Phungki
First, 2" of lift and 31" tires would be perfectly fine for the highway, and get you through most things off road with the exception of big rocks. Of more concern would be rust, and the photos show it being pretty rust-free. You don't have any photos of the body, but if it looks like the suspension and frame, it's definitely worth checking out. Miles? Model? Which transmission?

It’s a 03 with a I6 and automatic and has 91k miles. Everything is supposed to be in good working order. What do you think this suspension setup will feel like? I’ve test drove a handful of different modified Jeeps and some feel tight and stable and some feel very loose and kind of dart around....not sure if it’s the different suspension setups, worn out parts, poor alighnment.....but based on these pics should the shocks and linkages and such on this Jeep help it to feel good and stable and well controlled on the road?

It’s been painted and has a rebuild title because it got stripped of many many parts. This guy that has it, bought it, replaced parts, painted it, flipping it. It has a new top and brand new cheap off brand tires. Looks real clean though and put back together nicely and I can get a good deal on it.

9D755F81-7B57-4A82-AC6B-47FC97396E5D.jpeg

Not sure what the remote res shock dealio is about with a low lift, but looks ok, I guess.

It’s a 03 with a I6 and automatic and has 91k miles. Everything is supposed to be in good working order. What do you think this suspension setup will feel like? I’ve test drove a handful of different modified Jeeps and some feel tight and stable and some feel very loose and kind of dart around....not sure if it’s the different suspension setups, worn out parts, poor alighnment.....but based on these pics should the shocks and linkages and such on this Jeep help it to feel good and stable and well controlled on the road?
91k is pretty normal, and even low for an '03, so no issues there, as long as maintenance was kept up. There's no way to predict how it will drive and/or handle from looking at photos. If the installation of the lift (looks like a Rubicon Express) was done correctly, the Jeep should handle fine. You can visually check things like worn bushings, steering linkage, etc., but only in person. Usually the biggest factor in the quality of the ride is shocks, which can easily be replaced. When do you plan to check it out?

It’s been painted and has a rebuild title because it got stripped of many many parts. This guy that has it, bought it, replaced parts, painted it, flipping it. It has a new top and brand new cheap off brand tires. Looks real clean though and put back together nicely and I can get a good deal on it.

View attachment 47363
If those are 31" tires, that's definitely more than a 2" lift. The tires look tiny. I guess bumpers were on the list of parts that got taken...I hope it's a really good price.

Last edited:
Those are nice shocks, that's for sure. The Bilsteins ride stuff, but the fact that they are reservoir shocks means that someone paid good money for them.

That looks more like 4" of lift to me though. The number one thing to look for on TJs is rust on the frame, period.

That thing will ride just fine, just make sure there is no rust. It's also worth finding out what (if anything) the previous owner(s) did in terms of preventative maintenance.

Planning to check it out Sunday. I just wanted to make sure that’s a good suspension setup for how I’m planning to use it. I haven’t seen one like that on any of the other Jeeps I’ve looked at so before driving 3hrs to get there I just figured I’d get some feedback.

You guys have any thoughts on what would be a fair price for this Jeep given the rebuilt title? The inside is fine, it’s just standard Jeep interior in decent shape.

The ‘story’ is the rear diff got busted and it was parked. While parked the wheels, doors, top, bumpers, winch, maybe other stuff was all stolen and the insurance totaled it. This guy bought it and has replaced everything and painted it. Most I’ve seen in the south east that are similar with a clean title go for around 11-12....this guy is asking 9k and I was thinking of offering 7k if it drives solid. But literally, the only TJ’s I’ve seen for around 7k are 97/98 with 150k or more miles and typically a bit rough. I thought 7-8 would be pretty good for a 03 with 91k.....but hey, 5-6.5k sounds better.

Only thing is I really was looking for one that already has a winch as well, and this one doesn’t. But if I can get a good price and only 91k miles, it’s worth it to me to sacrifice the winch.

It’s nice that it has brand new tires....but the wheels/tires look too small on it too me and I’d kind of hate to live with them for years....I was looking for one with a mild lift and maybe some 33’s or something more like that.

Those are nice shocks, that's for sure. The Bilsteins ride stuff, but the fact that they are reservoir shocks means that someone paid good money for them.

That looks more like 4" of lift to me though. The number one thing to look for on TJs is rust on the frame, period.

That thing will ride just fine, just make sure there is no rust. It's also worth finding out what (if anything) the previous owner(s) did in terms of preventative maintenance.

When you said “the Bilstein ride stuff” did you mean stiff? Stiffer than others that have shocks like Ranchero 5500’s? I’ve driven a couple that were lifted about 3” with Ranchero 5500 shocks and thought they were a pretty stiff and bumpy ride....not a big deal but not sure I’d want one even more stiff. How would the Bilstein shocks compare to those?

You guys have any thoughts on what would be a fair price for this Jeep given the rebuilt title? The inside is fine, it’s just standard Jeep interior in decent shape.

Here is the issue with a rebuild title. The price is going Depending on your state and insurance company.

If you buy it and then someone hit it and totals it what are you going to get paid for it.
Some insurance companies wont even insure the jeep with a branded (rebuilt) title. (Depending on the state). Some value the jeep so low you could lose a lot if someone else totals it. Because there thinking is its not a full value vehicle.

I would talk to your insurance agent and ask them what their value of the vehicle is. That will let you know if you are taking a risk.
—-disclamer-—-
Every state and insurance company is different.

When you said “the Bilstein ride stuff” did you mean stiff? Stiffer than others that have shocks like Ranchero 5500’s? I’ve driven a couple that were lifted about 3” with Ranchero 5500 shocks and thought they were a pretty stiff and bumpy ride....not a big deal but not sure I’d want one even more stiff. How would the Bilstein shocks compare to those?

Yes, I meant to say stiff. I've had Bilstein 5100s on my TJ and Rancho RS5000X shocks. The Ranchos ride WAY smoother than the Bilsteins, hands down. However, the Rancho RS5000 (notice no X in the model name) sucks big time, as they ride very stiff.

It's the Rancho RS5000X that gives the best ride of them all.

Here is the issue with a rebuild title. The price is going Depending on your state and insurance company.

If you buy it and then someone hit it and totals it what are you going to get paid for it.
Some insurance companies wont even insure the jeep with a branded (rebuilt) title. (Depending on the state). Some value the jeep so low you could lose a lot if someone else totals it. Because there thinking is its not a full value vehicle.

I would talk to your insurance agent and ask them what their value of the vehicle is. That will let you know if you are taking a risk.
—-disclamer-—-
Every state and insurance company is different.

You know, I hadn’t thought about the ins and them devalueing it or maybe not even insuring it because of the rebuilt title. I’ll give them a call. Thanks! Great perspective.

Yes, I meant to say stiff. I've had Bilstein 5100s on my TJ and Rancho RS5000X shocks. The Ranchos ride WAY smoother than the Bilsteins, hands down. However, the Rancho RS5000 (notice no X in the model name) sucks big time, as they ride very stiff.

It's the Rancho RS5000X that gives the best ride of them all.

I didn’t notice a X on them but I’ll swing by and look at the shocks closer and see if they have a X or not.

Are different suspension setups designed for different type situations/purpose? If so, regarding the Bilstein’s that are currently on it...what are they mostly designed for. I take it that they aren’t really designed with the street in mind? Not really a good daily driver setup that sees off-road sometimes.....more like for a toy that just sees the road on the way to its off-road adventure?

I have zero experience with modified off road vehicles. I do have a background with racing both drag racing and road coarse racing...so I’m thinking in the off-road world different suspension setups are good for different uses, similar to in the racing world. I’d like to make sure the suspension would be good for my son to drive around town, too school, also him and I be able to drive a few states over for a camping and off-roading trip. Would this Bilstein setup be good for that type of use?

Can anyone tell what kind of springs are on it? Or that red sideways shock? (Not sure what you guys call that one)

Last edited:
I didn’t notice a X on them but I’ll swing by and look at the shocks closer and see if they have a X or not.

Are different suspension setups designed for different type situations/purpose? If so, regarding the Bilstein’s that are currently on it...what are they mostly designed for. I take it that they aren’t really designed with the street in mind? Not really a good daily driver setup that sees off-road sometimes.....more like for a toy that just sees the road on the way to its off-road adventure?

That X makes a huge difference, ask @Jerry Bransford. The non X model RS5000 are pieces of crap from what I hear. I run the RS5000X though, and they ride amazing.

Shocks are preference. If you want stiff riding shocks and prefer a very stiff ride, get Bilstein 5100s or Fox shocks. If you like softer and smoother riding shocks, the Rancho RS5000X is the best of the bunch. They'll all perform exceptionally well off-road though, some will just ride stiffer than others, that's all.

If I was going to daily drive my TJ though, I wouldn't run anything other than the Rancho RS5000X. As for reservoir shocks, unless you're doing a lot of high speed washboard roads (i.e. desert racing), a reservoir shock offers no benefit to the majority of us.

Reactions: CybrSlydr
That X makes a huge difference, ask @Jerry Bransford. The non X model RS5000 are pieces of crap from what I hear. I run the RS5000X though, and they ride amazing.
X2, I agree. The older RS5000 is a very stiff riding hydraulic shock. It is valved for a vehicle that is heavier than our Wrangler. The latest RS5000x is a gas-charged shock with a completely different design from the older RS5000. I can't believe they didn't come up with a completely different model name since they aren't even similar to each other. The RS5000x has a great highway ride but even more importantly to me, they give excellent offroad control which allows me to haul-ass on rough/bumpy desert dirt roads between trails.