No new fuel tanks available?

oldschoolsdime92

TJ Enthusiast
I've noticed that replacement fuel tanks aren't available? If this is true, what are guys or gals doing that need a tank?

Have you talked to the dealer and they confirmed this?

If this is indeed true, I wouldn't be surprised if someone such as Crown Automotive has started making replacement fuel tanks. Either that or used ones on eBay of course.

You don't say anywhere what model TJ you have, newer TJs are more likely to have gas tanks available from places like www.wermopar.com than are older TJs.

What model year do you have? With a p/n for the tank which can only be found once the model year is known, you can at least use tools like Google to find who might have them for sale.

Reactions: Chris
Just looking on quadratec and moparpartsoverstock it appears to no longer be available. When googling , all I've turned up is skid plates. Thankfully I don't need one, but with my recent tank dropping project, I thought I'd check the price on one.

I asked for the model year so I could look up the tank p/n which is 52100484. I couldn't find it in my usual sources but at least that p/n will help. It is surprising that 2002 and older tanks are fairly easily found but not so for 2003 and newer.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschoolsdime92
image.jpeg

I asked for the model year so I could look up the tank p/n which is 52100484. I couldn't find it in my usual sources but at least that p/n will help. It is surprising that 2002 and older tanks are fairly easily found but not so for 2003 and newer.

Wonder what the difference is between an 02 fuel tank and an 03 tank?

I have the 15 gal tank in my 1999 TJ, and I wish it was the larger 19 gal tank. I see some 19 gal tanks on eBay used for approx $75 - is that a good deal?

I have the 15 gal tank in my 1999 TJ, and I wish it was the larger 19 gal tank. I see some 19 gal tanks on eBay used for approx $75 - is that a good deal?

The 15 gallon tank you have is actually the same as the 19 gallon tank except that has a longer vent tube so it cannot take more than 15 gallons. If you drop the tank, remove the fuel pump assembly and stick your hand into the tank and cut off about 3 inches of the plastic vent tube with a razor knife you will now have the 19 gallon tank. I did the same thing to my 99 when I replaced the fuel pump. (I used a pump for the 19 gallon tank)

Reactions: Robin Down
The 15 gallon tank is pretty rare in reality. It is only very basic stripped down TJs that sometimes have the smaller tank.

Some erroneously think they have the smaller tank because the gas gauge is notoriously inaccurate and can indicate the fuel level is way lower than it really is. My gauge consistently shows the tank is empty when there is actually 4-5 gallons in it. I wait until the pointer is all the way to the bottom before I refill and even then it rarely takes more than about 17.5 gallons or so.

If I refilled at the normal Empty mark I'd think I had a 15 gallon tank too.

Reactions: Chris
The 15 gallon tank you have is actually the same as the 19 gallon tank except that has a longer vent tube so it cannot take more than 15 gallons. If you drop the tank, remove the fuel pump assembly and stick your hand into the tank and cut off about 3 inches of the plastic vent tube with a razor knife you will now have the 19 gallon tank. I did the same thing to my 99 when I replaced the fuel pump. (I used a pump for the 19 gallon tank)

So if the vent tube length is the only difference, why did you have to upgrade the fuel pump?

The 15 gallon tank is pretty rare in reality. It is only very basic stripped down TJs that sometimes have the smaller tank.

Some erroneously think they have the smaller tank because the gas gauge is notoriously inaccurate and can indicate the fuel level is way lower than it really is. My gauge consistently shows the tank is empty when there is actually 4-5 gallons in it. I wait until the pointer is all the way to the bottom before I refill and even then it rarely takes more than about 17.5 gallons or so.

If I refilled at the normal Empty mark I'd think I had a 15 gallon tank too.

thanks Jerry - I have never been able to put more than 12-13 gallons in my tank when the gauge reads empty. Do you really think it is 6-7 gallons off?