No start on 99 TJ 4.0 (not an ignition issue)

I see the yellow wire coming off of the ignition switch and then going through a 10 pin connector. Stupid question, how do I test this wire with a multimeter for 12v? I am not getting any reading when on the wire itself (I would assume due to the insulating rubber.)

Sorry, my forte is by no means electrical! Probably, will know my way around it after this project though!
You back probe (push probe into) where the wire enters the plastic harness connector.

I am not getting any power to fuse 20. I checked that this morning. I tested the ground on the OHM setting of my multimeter on pin 85 and from what I can tell it is grounded as I am not getting any movement (I have an older analog multimeter.) However, I am not getting any voltage on pin 87.
IF you are not getting any power to fuse 20 then the problem is in the 14 ga yellow wire between terminal 10 of the ignition switch and terminal 20 of the fuse block as it enters fuse 20. As I responded earlier; you need to verify you are getting 12V at terminal 10 of the ignition switch by back probing the harness connector where the wire comes out.

I am not getting any power to fuse 20. I checked that this morning. I tested the ground on the OHM setting of my multimeter on pin 85 and from what I can tell it is grounded as I am not getting any movement (I have an older analog multimeter.) However, I am not getting any voltage on pin 87.

Went through today again and found that an electrical connector was not properly connected into the solenoid? (black cylinder shaped object about 6 inches from the ignition )on the NSS linkage towards the transmission. However, properly connecting this is not changing anything.

I am not getting any volts at pin 87, nor am I seeing any volts at fuse 20 in the glove compartment.

IF you are not getting any power to fuse 20 then the problem is in the 14 ga yellow wire between terminal 10 of the ignition switch and terminal 20 of the fuse block as it enters fuse 20. As I responded earlier; you need to verify you are getting 12V at terminal 10 of the ignition switch by back probing the harness connector where the wire comes out.

When I back probe (stick my volt meter probe into the back side of the 10 pin connector nor when I try with a test light probe) at terminal 10 on the connector coming from the ignition switch, I am not getting any volts.

When I back probe (stick my volt meter probe into the back side of the 10 pin connector nor when I try with a test light probe) at terminal 10 on the connector coming from the ignition switch, I am not getting any volts.
IF you are not getting 12V on terminal 10 of the ignition switch in the START position then you need to check for 12V on the 14 ga red wire on terminal 3 of the ignition switch which is fed from fuse #3 (30A) of the Power Distribution Center in the engine compartment.
IF you have 12V on terminal 3, but not terminal 10 of the ignition switch when in the START position; then there is a problem with the contacts inside the ignition switch. I know you previously replaced the switch....

IF you are not getting 12V on terminal 10 of the ignition switch in the START position then you need to check for 12V on the 14 ga red wire on terminal 3 of the ignition switch which is fed from fuse #3 (30A) of the Power Distribution Center in the engine compartment.
IF you have 12V on terminal 3, but not terminal 10 of the ignition switch when in the START position; then there is a problem with the contacts inside the ignition switch. I know you previously replaced the switch....

Sorry for not getting back the past few days (I was out of town). However, it seems that I have a couple issues causing the no-start problem. I fixed some improper wiring from the PO in between the Ignition Switch and the 10 pin connector below the switch and am now getting 12v at the connector as well as at Fuse 20 in the glove box. I still, however, am not getting anything on pin 87 on the starter relay in the PDC and of course still no start (same thing as before).

I also have developed a pretty significant ATF leak from above the pan (I recently replaced the pan and gasket and it was not leaking). Is it possible that when I was fiddling around with the NSS linkage (and admittingly not knowing what it was at the time) that I could have somehow loosened it/ pulled it out of the transmission (I am planning on dropping the skid plate this weekend and investigating- where is the NSS located on the transmission housing?) Could this also cause it to be no longer grounded and therefore not allow 12v to pin 87 when in N or P?

Also if the issue is the NSS port at the transmission, how would I fix it?

Update on this. I managed to get the Jeep to start as it should.

This was not an NSS issue -at least for ignition, the transmission is leaking at the NNS-☹️

There were two issues both in the ignition wiring. The first was the remnants of an aftermarket alarm system that was spliced into the red, blue and yellow 14 gauge wires coming from the ignition switch to the 10 pin connector. Once I removed this splice and the alarm system and then properly connected the wiring, I had 12v volts through the connection and out to Fuse #20 in the glove box fuse box. This was the initial issue that caused the no-start. I must have jostled the alarm system just right to trigger it to no longer allow for power out to the starter relay.

The second issue (which I caused during my various tests to determine what was going on) was that the yellow/red 14 gauge wire into the PDC had become loose. The connector at the end of this wire that the relay connects into had been pushed too far down to allow the relay to properly connect. Once I disconnected the battery and popped the PDC off from the fender to look at the bottom, I was able to push it back up into the box properly to allow for proper seating with the relay.

After that the Jeep fires right up!

Thanks CharlesHS and Mall'er for your assistance! I would not have been able to figure this out without your help!!!!

No I can go back to dealing with my leaky transmission 😡 and intermittent stalling issues...😕

Reactions: CharlesHS