No temp gauge and no start. Let it sit and then temp gauge works and TJ starts fine

Fughuert

TJ Enthusiast
Went out for a 15 minute errand round trip didn't pay attention to the temp gauge but when I pulled into the driveway I noticed the temp needle was pegged at the lowest it will sit.

It showed no signs of actually overheating as well.

Shut down engine and I tried cycling the key to see if the gauge will work again and nothing, tried cranking and it just cranked away without firing for a couple seconds.

Went inside tried researching and about 5 minutes later went out, gauge worked immediately when key in on position and jeep fired right up first crank and every attempt thereafter.

Threw no codes in the obd reader, haven't done anything recently that should affect any of these systems, put ~2in lift and lowered tcase 5/8", but I drove that for almost two weeks before this event.

What I'm wondering is does the temp gauge sensor not working interrupt starting somehow? Or if anyone has knowledge of these symptoms and what they could mean?

Thank you.

It should start regardless of whether or not the temp gauge sending unit is working.

Is this a continuous thing, or was it a one time fluke?

One time fluke, so far.

I was wondering if that would cause it to crank on end, guess not.. now I'm wondering why it decided not to fire.

Could it have overheated or is the temp gauge sending unit only for the dash display and the thermostat regulates temp entirely? It has no history of ever running hot idling down trails, highway etc..

Is there any system that would stop it from starting if it is overheating?

The temp gauge is a completely separate system. Thermostat controls the coolant temp. Gauge is just something to give an indication of the temp.