No threaded holes on windshield frame and no interior light with door switches?

Steve Rodgers

TJ Enthusiast
New member here, just bought a 97 TJ SE. First Jeep since I sold my 67 C101 in 1998.
On my windshield frame, driver side, two of the holes have no threads at all, not even stripped threads. Are they supposed to have rivet nuts in the holes?
Also, my door switches have no effect on the interior lights, I have to rotate the headlight switch counterclockwise to turn on the interior lights. What's missing?

Sorry for the newbie questions.
Steve

Check this thread out in regards to the interior lights not working with the door switches:
How do I turn off the dome lights with the doors removed?

Chances are the previous owner is using one of those work arounds to bypass them, which is common on our TJs.

As for the windshield frame holes, can you take a photo so I can see what you're talking about? Every one of those holes should have a threaded plate behind it.

Here are two shots.
The missing threads are the upper two on the drivers side.
Many thanks

IMG_1468.JPG

IMG_1469.JPG

If you take the windshield hinges off it becomes more visible. There's a backing plate behind the windshield frame itself (I'm not even sure there's a way to access it aside from cutting apart the windshield frame) that wiggles around a bit horizontally and vertically (only by maybe 1/2" each way or so) and it has the holes that those bolts go into. They are threaded holes of course, and from what I can tell on yours, it looks like perhaps those holes are missing their threads, which would suggest that someone stripped them out once upon a time.

Looks like I may be getting a windshield frame.

It looks like you may have to!

EDIT: As Jerry said below though, the threads themselves aren't part of the windshield frame, but a clip behind the frame. Problem is, I'm not sure you can access that clip without removing the windshield frame itself.