No wear on far edge of tire

freebo86

TJ Enthusiast
Running 33” Duratracs and noticed that the far edge of the tire clearly isn’t making contact. Is this normal?

Running them in a LJ, nothing in it except myself. Tire pressure 25psi.

0116A352-CC7A-405A-83F7-731D38DF2609.jpeg

6A6775B5-5DF3-41EB-B459-F4EC03B13B5C.jpeg

If this is on both inside and outside of the tire add a couple psi to the tire to force the center to make better contact on the road. If this is on the outside only it can indicate a bent axle or bad ball joints or even bad bearings. It is possible that you have bent the inner 'C', but that is unlikely.

Is this on one side or both sides?

As in outside/inside of the tire or Left and Right of the Jeep?
It is on both sides of the Jeep.
And yes, its on the inside and outside.

How thick are your wheel spacers?

1.25"

If this is on both inside and outside of the tire add a couple psi to the tire to force the center to make better contact on the road. If this is on the outside only it can indicate a bent axle or bad ball joints or even bad bearings. It is possible that you have bent the inner 'C', but that is unlikely.

Thanks for the input. Highly doubt its a bent axle.
Ball Joints I ended up replacing the passenger side couple of years ago with the Jeep having 18k miles on it, and after further research and posts on this forum I ended up doing them for nothing as the dealer was just being a bunch of idiots and wouldn't pass my MVI until I replaced it (they had hoped that they were going to get to do the labour).
Whats a bent inner 'C"?

This is on both sides of the Jeep, all 4 tires. And yes its on both inside and outside.

I should also state, these tires were purchased used last fall. So I have not had them since new.

Last edited:
What is your wheel offset? If it's only on the outside of your tires, I'm just thinking, with your spacers and maybe incorrect wheel offset, your scrub radius is jacked up too far positive and wearing the middle to inside of your tires. Not typically an issue with 1.25" spacers, but significantly incorrect wheel offset maybe would exacerbate it.

What is your wheel offset? If it's only on the outside of your tires, I'm just thinking, with your spacers and maybe incorrect wheel offset, your scrub radius is jacked up too far positive and wearing the middle to inside of your tires. Not typically an issue with 1.25" spacers, but significantly incorrect wheel offset maybe would exacerbate it.

They are stock wheels, if I recall they are called Ravine wheel. 15x8", 5.5" backspacing, offset is +25mm from research.

They are stock wheels, if I recall they are called Ravine wheel. 15x8", 5.5" backspacing, offset is +25mm from research.
That's pretty close. I believe ideal backspacing for TJs is 3.75" and you're at 4.25" which isn't too bad. There goes my theory.

Generally speaking when you only wear the inside of the tire it means you have overinflated your tires. but if youre running 25 PSI thats not the case.

How wide are your wheels and what is the width of the tire 33X(This number)R15

Reactions: ballpark
That's pretty close. I believe ideal backspacing for TJs is 3.75" and you're at 4.25" which isn't too bad. There goes my theory.

Can you please explain in a bit more detail? I do not follow. Back spacing etc has me confused.

Generally speaking when you only wear the inside of the tire it means you have overinflated your tires. but if youre running 25 PSI thats not the case.

How wide are your wheels and what is the width of the tire 33X(This number)R15

Wheel is 15x8 (wheel info is in post above.
It’s a 33x12.5 tire.

Could it be you have 12.5" tires mounted on 8" wheels and the current tire pressure is causing a mound in the tire center? You may want to consider lowering your tire pressure are running 10.5" tires on 8" wheels to eliminate the issue.

As I said earlier, if both the inside and outside of the tire are worn down, but center of tread isn't, you have your tire pressure set too low. Add 2-3 psi to the tire and see if that levels it out. Low pressure allows the center of the tire to push inwards. Excess pressure would force the tire center to push outwards causing it to ride on the center strip wearing that part down.
And if this is happening on more than 1 tire on the vehicle then any other issue is unlikely. Put more air in the tires that have that wear pattern.

.................EDIT...............
I just re-read, looked at it. It looks to me that the outside edge has MORE wear than center. If so, ADD 2-3 psi.

If outside edges have LESS wear than center, LOWER air pressure by 2-3 psi.👍

Last edited: