NOISE COMING FROM THE REAR AXLE

So I had this weird noise coming from the rear when turning after the car have been on the road for 10-15 miles. After checking all suspension components replacing old bushing arms and such the noise was still present. I finally decides to take the dif cover off and here is what I found :(

What do you guys recommend, I have been reading and people keeps saying its not worth rebuilding and I should get a new Used Axle.

Should I just buy the spider gear kit and rebuild it? How hard would this be? Or should I buy a Used axle.

Links to what I am thinking of getting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EHN5OFC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0078U97IG/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Any help or advise will be appreciated.

20160904_210142.jpg

20160904_214316.jpg

Last edited:
Replacing the spider and side gears is easy, there is no setup required for them.

Installing the new carrier bearings is a little more involved. They require a press and you also have to check & set the backlash via shims since the new bearings can shift the carrier a little to the side one way or the other.

Reactions: Ricardo Monsalve
X2 to what Jerry said. Spider gears are easy.

Carrier bearings is something I personally don't tackle myself, only because I don't have the experience with it. I leave that to a professional who specializes in ring and pinions.

However, if you are competent with that sort of stuff and have the tools, it won't be an issue.

Replacing the spider and side gears is easy, there is no setup required for them.

Installing the new carrier bearings is a little more involved. They require a press and you also have to check & set the backlash via shims since the new bearings can shift the carrier a little to the side one way or the other.
Thank you Jerry and Chris I will go with the obvious and replace the spider gears, any good write up or video out there? Also would the parts from that link work? I believe I have a Trac Lok, tag from the cover was gone but I have the car up and neutral and both tires spin on the same direction when spinning either one. THANK YOU GUYS, I really appreciate all your help.

Last edited:
The parts you linked to look fine. Any GL 5 gear lube is fine. The exact viscosity is not critical either. A 75W-90 or 80W-90 is perfect most of the time. A heavier viscosity like 80W-120 or 85W-140 etc. would be appropriate if you tow much.

I personally prefer a conventional gear lube over a synthetic as it has been shown to keep the gears cooler than a synthetic can. Which is no big deal for most of us since the higher temps seen with synthetic gear lubes only occurs during extreme uses.

Reactions: Ricardo Monsalve
Replacing spiders in the Traclok is pretty straightforward. You will have to remove the carrier to do the swap. Place an axle in a vice and place the carrier onto it. Grab the ring gear and turn it and the pinion gears will rotate out and the rest will follow. Reassembly is the reverse. Perfect time to replace the clutch packs as well.

Any quality gear lube will work just make sure it is compatible with a limited slip.

Before reassembly hose out the inside of the housing with some brake cleaner to remove the debris from the broken pieces of gear. Check the pinion gear for signs of damage as well. If you turn the yoke and the pinion feels rough/gritty/binds it is time to replace those bearings. Be prepared to replace more than just the spiders just in case the broken chunks did more damage.

The issue with buying used is you never know what you are buying. Even if you have to replace all the bearings and seals with the spiders, you will have the confidence it is back to 100%.

Replacing spiders in the Traclok is pretty straightforward. You will have to remove the carrier to do the swap. Place an axle in a vice and place the carrier onto it. Grab the ring gear and turn it and the pinion gears will rotate out and the rest will follow. Reassembly is the reverse. Perfect time to replace the clutch packs as well.

Any quality gear lube will work just make sure it is compatible with a limited slip.

Before reassembly hose out the inside of the housing with some brake cleaner to remove the debris from the broken pieces of gear. Check the pinion gear for signs of damage as well. If you turn the yoke and the pinion feels rough/gritty/binds it is time to replace those bearings. Be prepared to replace more than just the spiders just in case the broken chunks did more damage.
Thanks for the tips!

Reactions: Chris
HELPPP The part I got is a combo of 14-10(Big gear 14 teeth and small gear 10 teeth)gears... the one I pulled out are 15-11....Which one is the right one lol. Dont know if the previous owner put the wrong ones in or I ordered the wrong set.

Last edited:
Interesting. Looks like you have it squared away now. Curious, what brand were the odd numbered ones?
They are USA STANDARD, I probably ordered the wrong ones. I went into their website and it says that those gears are for standard differential.

Ok I am a little frustrated. New parts arrived even tho it says it fits 97 Jeep Wrangler TJ Dana 35 with Trac Loc the gears are different than what I pulled out. Not the same number of teeth and they dont even fit.

20160906_144355.jpg

20160906_144400.jpg

20160906_144515.jpg

20160906_144347.jpg

I'm going to defer to one of the more knowledgable guys on this. Only because I'm pretty clueless when it comes to changing out these things. It's the one thing I don't trust myself with.

I'm going to defer to one of the more knowledgable guys on this. Only because I'm pretty clueless when it comes to changing out these things. It's the one thing I don't trust myself with.
Its not hard to replace Chris....butonly if I could get the right part for it, I am starting to wonder if the previous owner installed a different differential.