Noise near alternator

JornVango

Since a few weeks, an irregular noise is coming from the alternator area. It sounds like squeaking at various pitches. The sound doesn't seem to be influenced by whether I'm standing still and idling, or driving, hitting the gas or not...

Here is a YouTube video:

The alternator is original (2002 4.0l), the belt was replaced about 6 months ago.

Since a few weeks, an irregular noise is coming from the alternator area. It sounds like squeaking at various pitches. The sound doesn't seem to be influenced by whether I'm standing still and idling, or driving, hitting the gas or not...

Here is a YouTube video:

The alternator is original (2002 4.0l), the belt was replaced about 6 months ago.

Tensioner pulley? That’s what mine was.

About $50 and 20 minutes to swap

It could be the alternator pulley itself, but it's more likely the tensioner pulley as @BoldlyGoing mentioned. This happened on my old XJ with the 4.0, and installing a new tensioner pulley fixed it.

You can always leave it running and spray some WD40 on the tensioner pulley just to see if it makes a difference. If the noise goes away when you do so, that would suggest your tensioner pulley is bad.