Noise on cold start

Kelly F.

It's been cold here in NC for a bit and my Jeep has started to make a weird noise on start up. Usually starts a few seconds after cranking and stops a few minutes later. Not sure if it's a belt, bearing, or pulley....any thoughts?

I have/had a weird sound on start up on very cold days too, and posted it somewhere in this site and others commented on it. I have not heard the sound for a while and so far have not done anything about it or located its source. Just to cold to go digging around since I don't have a garage.

Reactions: Kelly F.
if its the sound at the beginning of the video, id lean towards the alternator.

mine makes similar noises when it gets super cold out on cold starts. I wouldn't be too concerned though. I swapped out my oem denso alternator with a reman denso alternator and managed a year of silence on cold days and its returned again this year. alternators tend to become noisy on cold days.

if its the sound at the beginning of the video, id lean towards the alternator.

mine makes similar noises when it gets super cold out on cold starts. I wouldn't be too concerned though. I swapped out my oem denso alternator with a reman denso alternator and managed a year of silence on cold days and its returned again this year. alternators tend to become noisy on cold days.
Ok thanks. Yep it makes that noise at the beginning, will stop for a few and start again then quit after a few minutes once the engine is warm.

I may ride as is and see how things go for a bit. Thanks for the info!!

any luck on the fix?

LJ did it this morning (36 degrees in Middle TN)