Noise when turning after lower steering shaft replacement

Jacob

Hey Y'all, I just recently installed an lower steering shaft to fix play(wandering) in my steering wheel. Hoorah, the jeep tracks beautifully, however I fixed an issue and I believe it accentuated another.

Here are pictures, and a small video where you hear a whooshing?(not the right word) if you listen super closely, at the end of me turning my steering wheel only to the left. I'm almost positive it is my upper steering shaft that is making the wheel extremely stiff with a clicking sound when brought back to center(or turning over center to left or right). I just need a second opinion that's all

IMG_5900.jpeg

IMG_5902.jpeg

IMG_5899.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5903.mov
    1.7 MB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Sounds like the wooshing sound is just power steering pump noise, didn't sound bad to me. I didn't really hear any clicking that was bad. If you're getting a clicking sound while moving, could be the axle ujoints. Mine does that now but I'll be replacing them here in the near future along with axle seals. We'll see if that works...

Reactions: Jacob
Hmm, maybe I just have to let the steering shaft settle in, as it’s days old. Let me know if the seals fixes the noise. Jeeps are a love/hate relationship. It’s never an easy fix lol

Hmm, maybe I just have to let the steering shaft settle in, as it’s days old. Let me know if the seals fixes the noise. Jeeps are a love/hate relationship. It’s never an easy fix lol
Will do - the seal should fix my leak, I think the clicking are some crunchy needle bearings in the axles. They're the last 2 u-joints to be replaced. It's always something...

Good news! Replaced the axle seals and axle u-joints; seems to have cleared up the crunchy needle bearing sound and leak. The axle u-joints weren't dry when I pulled them out but that could have been from spraying them down with PB Blaster for a few days before I got into them. Bad news, I now have the laughing barrel of monkeys... :rolleyes:

Sounds about right.