Non vented hard top on a 98'

Gollywomper

Professional pot stirrer
Supporting Member
I bought a hard top soon after purchasing my Jeep. Problem is my TJ is a 98 and the top newer non vented style.
Should I put a vent in my tailgate? What have others done?

Lol. Have to slam the doors when the top is on. Need to decide how to vent my tailgate I guess.

It will work just fine without the vent in the tailgate. I've heard it can make the doors slightly harder to shut, but from the people I've talked to that have done it, they didn't notice any issue like this.

Reactions: Dougj169
It will work just fine without the vent in the tailgate. I've heard it can make the doors slightly harder to shut, but from the people I've talked to that have done it, they didn't notice any issue like this.
I have been dealing with it. Not a big deal, but the doors have to be slammed unless I crack the windows a bit. Just us annoying.
Anyone have a pick of a newer TJ vented tail gate? I think that’s where they are vented?

I have been dealing with it. Not a big deal, but the doors have to be slammed unless I crack the windows a bit. Just us annoying.
Anyone have a pick of a newer TJ vented tail gate? I think that’s where they are vented?

Yeah, I figured of anything you might just have to shut them a little harder.

You'll find plenty of vented tailgates here:
http://car-part.com
Probably ones close by to you as well!

D6EF5114-B472-44F2-8BC8-25DA444A85CD.jpeg

92E69E54-2B89-44D2-9EE7-0BC695CE6A6E.jpeg

I have been just cracking a window. In rainy weather have to shut the door hard. Probably order a couple round vents. See if that cures the issue. It’s not a big deal. I just hate slamming doors.

Reactions: BrunoPizz97
Buy an 03+ tailgate. I have an 03 with vented tailgate and I still have to slam the doors a bit to close them.

Buy an 03+ tailgate. I have an 03 with vented tailgate and I still have to slam the doors a bit to close them.
Ya this would be easier. If I can find a decent price on a gate I will. However the issue is not a $300 dollar issue yet, lol.

Grab a outside vent assy. from Davey's, and DIY your own. I'm sure you can come up with something creative for the inside vents. A die grinder is your friend!

Grab a outside vent assy. from Davey's, and DIY your own. I'm sure you can come up with something creative for the inside vents. A die grinder is your friend!
Ya I have an idea. A few small round louver style vents. Couple on inside and couple outside. Just need to find exactly what I’m looking for first.

Dude . Put the air conditioner on "vent" . Do this before you kill the engine .

This allows air to travel both ways .

Ya I have an idea. A few small round louver style vents. Couple on inside and couple outside. Just need to find exactly what I’m looking for first.
You will want to use an OEM vent. It is a one way vent that allows air to escape but prevents water and exhaust from being pulled in. They simply pop in so you would just have to cut out the hole. On the inside you could do want you want.

I have an '05 with the vented tailgate and the doors were still hard to shut. I installed these last winter since I like to get fresh air even when it's cold/rainy. Since I leave the door cracked open all the time now, it solved my for closing problem completely.

IMG_20190907_111337.jpg