Vented Tailgate vs Non Vented

Marc L

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My 2002 Jeep TJ was rearended. They are offering a tailgate with a vent while mine was not vented. I do have a hardtop I use in the winter. Should I get the vented one is my question?

You only need the vented tailgate if your hardtop does not have vents in it.
Thanks! I'll have to go look at it in the garage. Where are they on the hardtop? Sorry I'm new to the jeep thing. I had a 66 mustang since High school and sold it after 30 years. I'm loving the Jeep!

Thanks! I'll have to go look at it in the garage. Where are they on the hardtop? Sorry I'm new to the jeep thing. I had a 66 mustang since High school and sold it after 30 years. I'm loving the Jeep!

On the 1997-2002 models, the rear tailgate was not vented, because the vents were instead placed on the hard top.

Here's a photo of the hard top vents on a 1997-2002 model:

maxresdefault.jpg

On the 2003-3006 TJs, they did away with the hard top vents and placed them on the tailgate instead.

Good choice on the Jeep! These things are such a blast to drive.

Ok I just looked, I do have vents in my Hardtop so I will tell them to use the non-vented tailgate. Thank you all for your help!! I'm a Jeep Newbee. But loving it.

Reactions: DWLJ
On the 1997-2002 models, the rear tailgate was not vented, because the vents were instead placed on the hard top.

Here's a photo of the hard top vents on a 1997-2002 model:

View attachment 20600

On the 2003-3006 TJs, they did away with the hard top vents and placed them on the tailgate instead.

Good choice on the Jeep! These things are such a blast to drive.
Yes I am loving it! More fun than my wives 66 mustang convertible.

IMG_6784 2.JPG

Reactions: Chris
Ok I just looked, I do have vents in my Hardtop so I will tell them to use the non-vented tailgate. Thank you all for your help!! I'm a Jeep Newbee. But loving it.

I should mention though, either tailgate is fine in all honesty, especially since you have the vents in your hard top. It won't hurt to have extra vents in the tailgate, so take whichever one you want in the end!

Reactions: Marc L
Any opening at the rear of any vehicle, especially an non-streamlined one, will draw air forward toward the windshield because of the vacuum created as it moves through the air.
Ergo, if you want to get dirty, open the back.

Reactions: Chris
If they close okay, then either tailgate is fine. The vents are only there to aid in closing the doors.

I'm experiencing the difficult door closing issue. Due to my 1998 TJ tailgate having no vent, and later model hardtop also having no vents. If I role a window part-way down, the doors close much easier.

Has anyone found a solution to relieving the air pressure (other than having to buy a different tailgate or drill holes in the hardtop)? Maybe I should install some homemade pressure relief vent in my tailgate?