California NorCal camping spots

tomtaylz

LJR Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
So theres quite a few of us from NorCal on the forums these days. Sometimes camping spots/reservations can be a bit of a bloodsport.

With summer fast approaching what are some of your guys go to spots? I'm interested in finding some spots that are off the beaten path and require some wheeling to get to (and therefore quieter). I'm not picky about car camping or having to hike in a bit but easily reservable would be awesome. Hoping to get in some good trips with the Jeep this summer!

Reactions: Alex01
You're a little too far north of where I camp but I often look for "dispersed camping areas". they usually don't have the amenities that other campsites have but often still allow campfires during fire restrictions and a lot less people.

Im North of you by up by Chico, we head into Mendocino up here and there are Amazing camping spots that are always empty except for hunting season. No res required. Letts Lake is more you area just north of Clear Lake but it get fairy packed during the summer on holidays, first come first serve most places. If you interested I would tell you all the spots we camp at, a 3 hour drive for you though

Reactions: tomtaylz
Yep, Letts Lake is a good one, but like @Thunderhead says, first come, first serve. Plaskett Meadows would be another good one in the Mendocino National. The Lost Coast is another option for getting away from the heat in the summer months. Lake Pillsbury is a good one if you like to fish/swim/kayak, and still have lots of trails to explore at the same time. I'll get you a Mendocino National Forest map when you come up for the Cow run.

Yep, Letts Lake is a good one, but like @Thunderhead says, first come, first serve. Plaskett Meadows would be another good one in the Mendocino National. The Lost Coast is another option for getting away from the heat in the summer months. Lake Pillsbury is a good one if you like to fish/swim/kayak, and still have lots of trails to explore at the same time. I'll get you a Mendocino National Forest map when you come up for the Cow run.

Can you get a bigger picture of the "RIDE OF THE MONTH WINNER" on your signature ?

I don’t mind the drive. Let’s hear them.

Also don’t mind not having amenities at campsites. Car camping is actually fairly new to me, most of my life it’s been more backpacking so getting used to the luxuries of car camping when I go.

Im North of you by up by Chico, we head into Mendocino up here and there are Amazing camping spots that are always empty except for hunting season. No res required. Letts Lake is more you area just north of Clear Lake but it get fairy packed during the summer on holidays, first come first serve most places. If you interested I would tell you all the spots we camp at, a 3 hour drive for you though

Realistically, find a nice spot in the mountains and set up. If you can find some water/stream/lake, even better. I prefer that to an actual campground. The wife however prefers something that has a porta potty or similar :D

I don’t mind the drive. Let’s hear them.

Also don’t mind not having amenities at campsites. Car camping is actually fairly new to me, most of my life it’s been more backpacking so getting used to the luxuries of car camping when I go.

So from I-5 going west from Willows OR 101 to Covalo going east is the F-7/hwy 162. That the main east west road. There is Wells Cabin at the base of Anthony’s Peak, it’s a bit beat up with lots of down trees but secluded. Vaulted toilets
Wells Cabin camp
73D88624-E856-4FC5-B841-85B1853CE621.jpeg

Anthony’s Peak
C23AD562-89F8-4537-B370-DC6FE076EE97.png

Further on West is Plaskett Meadows. That’s a real nice spot. More populated but not overwhelming. Lots of ppl fishing

656232B3-0CA5-4CA9-83CA-B128056648AE.jpeg
3778F5DF-4E31-4E19-91D5-5484C559D479.jpeg
F94BA400-8457-4E64-8D81-B8AB3B285C6A.jpeg

Further up I-5 west of Orland or Corning is the M-2 and M-4. Those are our go to camps. Up M-2 you have Log Springs, Surger Springs and a few off the map places. Up the M-4 is Whitlock Camp and Three Prong, Kingsley glad and more. From Wells Cabin you can cut across to the M-2 and find Surger Springs but to get to the M-4 it’s a hell of a drive

Whitlock Camp
8F88A99A-5AD6-402A-8760-097F7B08EA05.jpeg
A043E5E5-E601-4FD8-8A2C-BE67EC885925.jpeg

Surger Springs
5E356E9F-95EF-4590-AB17-E3E271D2956E.jpeg

Attachments

• 7CA28AD6-B30C-434E-A3DD-72DDA5B90FAB.MOV
    2 MB · Views: 266
That looks great, what are some good spots in Lost coast?

Usal Beach(the one I pictured). You can also follow Usal road(forest service type of trail) to Shelter Cove where there is more camping. Head even further north, and you have camping and more trails along King's Peak trail and Sinkyone Wilderness State Park.

Reactions: tomtaylz
@tomtaylz , if you don't mind the 2.5hr. trip up here, we could scout out some camping sites in the southern Mendo National for a day trip. I bet I could even persuade @Thunderhead ,@lowranger and @Rob5589 to join in for the day.

Yeah I think it’s finding some time I’m free but I don’t mind the drive. Always enjoy the outdoors.

Reactions: Thunderhead
Yeah I think it’s finding some time I’m free but I don’t mind the drive. Always enjoy the outdoors.

Yep, finding free time to play can be tough for most of us. Well, the offer stands if the stars align for us to explore.