Not death wobble and probably not bump steer

So it's been a while, Test drive did not go well. Wanders all over, tried different road types, different speeds, flat and smooth, rough and bumpy. This thing just goes where it wants to period. Only thing left is replace the steering gear box. Once that's done and if it still is crap I'm gonna part it out and scrap it. It's the only way to recoup some of the cash spent. Gotta think about it for a bit, but I am at a loss, mentally, physically and financially drained. The biggest disappointment is that everything that was replaced really did need to be replaced. The biggest mystery is I drove this thing 200 miles when everything including the frame was bad and even ply separated tires and it drove down the rode pretty good except for the occasional bump steer. My long time dream of having a Jeep is shattered and I guess I'll stick with my 26 year old 350,000 mile 4Runner that has never failed me even though I literally "Whistling Diesel'ed" the crap outta it. Sure the occasional broken short shaft, but that was even down to a 45 minute on the trail repair. Sorry for the rambling rant but I've run out of options

If you push really hard side to side on the Jeep is there any flex here?

mount.jpg

Reactions: taylormade73
none solid as a rock, only play at all is in the steering wheel, the column is fine it could be the steering gear box. Adjustment is bottomed out and it still has play.

Reactions: pagrey
Wander problem solved. Replaced the steering gear box and I can drive this Jeep with 2 fingers now. All the other things needed to be done as well, but the gear box stopped the massive wandering. She rolls down the road nicely now, gonna get a full alignment to fine tune it all next. On to the next problem that seems to come and go, probably open a new thread on that. Just to get it started I've got a squealing screeching noise similar to a clutch throw out bearing noise, but probably not that since it doesn't change with the clutch pedal and it comes and goes randomly. Anyways I hope that some of what was found and discussed here helps others, and not everyone's similar problem will have the same solution. Thanks Everyone.

Reactions: wildbill
Wander problem solved. Replaced the steering gear box and I can drive this Jeep with 2 fingers now. All the other things needed to be done as well, but the gear box stopped the massive wandering. She rolls down the road nicely now, gonna get a full alignment to fine tune it all next. On to the next problem that seems to come and go, probably open a new thread on that. Just to get it started I've got a squealing screeching noise similar to a clutch throw out bearing noise, but probably not that since it doesn't change with the clutch pedal and it comes and goes randomly. Anyways I hope that some of what was found and discussed here helps others, and not everyone's similar problem will have the same solution. Thanks Everyone.
Glad to hear you got it figured out. Any chance you have a link to the steering gear box you used?
Thanks.

So finally got the alignment done, some things were off. I can only imagine how bad it was before I brought everything closer to right. My screeching was one of the pulleys so I got that fixed. Next item is the power steering pump it just up and dyed. everything was awesome driving back and then I stopped did a right turn and it was like manual steering. Pump is not so bad to change, the pulley might be fun to get off though. Anyways it's great to drive even with the pump out. Solid and tight, very responsive. Thanks once again for everyone's input.
IMG_2448.JPG

Probably the last update on this topic. Got the steering pump changed out. The right tools make the difference ( pulley puller/installer O'Reilly "Thanks twistedlv). Love driving this jeep now, The squealing noise is gone too. Pretty sure it was the pump although I found my lever for 4wd was raised slightly up about the time I finished my pump install. 4wd works fine so it probably wasn't partly engaged if that's even possible. I seriously was ready to throw in the towel on this Jeep, but thanks to your help here and some awesome new friends I've found that were into TJ's we "gotter dun".