Not Getting Fuel

tank

I've got a 97 2.5. I was getting a p1294 about not reaching low idle rpms. Read some threads that said either the IAC is stuck/needs to be replaced or I have a vacuum leak. I sprayed some throttle body cleaner through it while it was running, giving it some gas so it wouldn't die and some through the port that goes by the IAC. While I was doing that, I noticed a vacuum line that was not hooked up. So, hooked up the vacuum line and all seemed well. I get in it this morning, start it up, back out, turn left at the stop sign two houses from where I live, make it about a block and it dies, won't start back up. If I leave it set for 5-10 minutes, it starts for a few seconds then dies. I left it for a few hours and it started for like 10 seconds then died. Took off the breather and sprayed some starter fluid into the throttle body and ir runs until that is burned then dies.

So, I know I am getting fire, just not getting fuel. I have half a tank of gas. Last time I filled up, I put some sea foam in it. I do that ever once in a while just because. Not sure if I did something by spraying the throttle body cleaner through it or not. I replaced the fuel pump about 4 months ago and many other sensors fighting a check engine light which I finally got cleared until the last P1294. On a side note, I also replaced the blinker switch at the same time i used the throttle body cleaner +since mine was not auto-cancelling itself any longer. I wouldn't think that would affect anything; but, you never know I guess.

Any recommendations on where to start with why I'm not getting any fuel? Or any other reason causing this issue if you don't think what I have diagnosed to be wrong?

I appreciate any and all help!

You did the typical fuel test there with the starter fluid, that's also something I would have suggested. You could also take one of the injectors out while you're starting it and see if it's spraying any fuel or not just to be 100% sure.

If you truly aren't getting fuel, I'm going to have to assume in that case that the fuel pump is indeed your issue.

I'm not sure the P1294 code is related. It seems coincidental, but I would almost guess that was a separate issue, and once you resolved it, this new one popped up?

If it does turn out to be your fuel pump, make sure to get the Bosch fuel pump:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BZJDK2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The other aftermarket ones are known to be problematic and have issues.

You did the typical fuel test there with the starter fluid, that's also something I would have suggested. You could also take one of the injectors out while you're starting it and see if it's spraying any fuel or not just to be 100% sure.

If you truly aren't getting fuel, I'm going to have to assume in that case that the fuel pump is indeed your issue.

I'm not sure the P1294 code is related. It seems coincidental, but I would almost guess that was a separate issue, and once you resolved it, this new one popped up?

If it does turn out to be your fuel pump, make sure to get the Bosch fuel pump:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BZJDK2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The other aftermarket ones are known to be problematic and have issues.
The one I got was this one which is a Bosch:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CF6084/?tag=wranglerorg-20

not sure the difference other than mine was a few dollars more. I bought the Bosch because I didn't want to have to replace it more than once since it is kind of a PITA to drop the tank.

Reactions: Chris
Well, since the fuel pump appeared to be the obvious. I went out and checked the connection. It appears that when I hooked it back up, I did not get it connected all the way together. I disconnected and when I reconnected it, it appeared to go together further than it had been. Needless to say, it fired right up. The things that make you go hmmm. Completely my fault. Thanks for replying Chris.

Well, since the fuel pump appeared to be the obvious. I went out and checked the connection. It appears that when I hooked it back up, I did not get it connected all the way together. I disconnected and when I reconnected it, it appeared to go together further than it had been. Needless to say, it fired right up. The things that make you go hmmm. Completely my fault. Thanks for replying Chris.

Haha... Oh man, this is a classic case of Ockham's Razor. I'm guilty of this myself on more than one occasion!

Glad you got it figured out.