Not much luck with Discount Tire

ac_

zombicon
Supporting Member
I bought brand now Cooper ATP's and aluminum rims from Discount Tire. They don't have a lip for wheel weights so they have to use tape weights on the inside. I have had it on 4 times in a year for a balance, and they can't seem to get it right. This is on my Ram 1500 pull truck. I have never had luck getting my tires balanced at Discount Tire. Am I the only one? The reason why I post this is I am looking for new wheels and tires for my TJ, and I am pretty sure I don't want to get them from Discount Tire, so I am looking for a better place either in the Arizona area, or maybe a better chain? Any suggestions would be great!

Supposedly major tire companies have mandated "no discounting" policies so pricing is not a factor. 4 Wheel Parts did a good job of balancing my new tires and wheels but screwed up my lift install. Big O fixed my lift install and did a decent alignment job. IMO- Every shop is different. Talk to the service managers and compare capabilities. Find a manager that has been there a while and will stand by his work.

Lee - 2005 TJ 4.0 Auto - Las Vegas

Reactions: Overlandtjm100
Supposedly major tire companies have mandated "no discounting" policies so pricing is not a factor. 4 Wheel Parts did a good job of balancing my new tires and wheels but screwed up my lift install. Big O fixed my lift install and did a decent alignment job. IMO- Every shop is different. Talk to the service managers and compare capabilities. Find a manager that has been there a while and will stand by his work.

Lee - 2005 TJ 4.0 Auto - Las Vegas
LeePTI is right. Every shop has employees that are trained in house. Many of these guys have different skill sets when they come to work for said shop. Never the less the shop will put everyone on similar duty's even if they are not the most qualified for a specific task. I would find a shop that specializes in your vehicle. Whether it be a jeep shop or another type of mom and pop of road outfitter. I prefer to do business with the family owned jeep shops in my area. They always seem to go above and beyond with the quality of work and customer service. After all they want you to come back, unlike the big chain stores. Your money also stays in your community which is a bonus. Good luck

Sent from my NX16A11264 using Tapatalk

Reactions: StG58 and LeePTI
I've had nothing but success with my local Discount Tire. Both on mounting and balancing tires, as well as price matching even the lowest prices I've found on the Internet. For that reason, I always give them my business. I've also negotiated the price of the tire protection warranty numerous times, and found that they're always flexible on the price of it.

But just like any shop, it's only as good as the people who work there and how well trained they are. My Discount Tire seems to do a lot of trucks, and therefore has a lot of experience with mounting large tires. That may not be the same for every location of course.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Discount Tire though, every single time. If there's ever an issue (and one time there was, though it wasn't a balancing issue), they always make it right.

I've had nothing but success with my local Discount Tire. Both on mounting and balancing tires, as well as price matching even the lowest prices I've found on the Internet. For that reason, I always give them my business. I've also negotiated the price of the tire protection warranty numerous times, and found that they're always flexible on the price of it.

But just like any shop, it's only as good as the people who work there and how well trained they are. My Discount Tire seems to do a lot of trucks, and therefore has a lot of experience with mounting large tires. That may not be the same for every location of course.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Discount Tire though, every single time. If there's ever an issue (and one time there was, though it wasn't a balancing issue), they always make it right.

Thanks for all of the replies. You are probably right about finding a place that does more truck tires. The whole time I was there, my truck was the only truck. That said my truck tires are a little less than 33's. It is not like they are huge. Finding a local 4x4 shop may be what I am looking for. I know I have a 2 4wheelparts local. Maybe I will check them out especially since they specialize in trucks. I would imagine a 33 would be cake for them. I am glad I didn't get that my tires are crap and can't be balanced. At least now I have hope again. I will probably buy my new wheels and tires from 4wheelparts. Thanks again for the advice!

4 Wheel Parts is notoriously overpriced. Don't buy wheels / tires from them unless they price match (which I believe they do). I'm only saying that to help save you some money. But you're on the right track, your best bet is to find a place that does mostly trucks or 4x4s. They will have the necessary skills and experience to mount and balance larger tires. Even a 33" tire is still huge, especially when you compare it against the size of the average tire you find on most passenger vehicles.

I have had poor experiences getting Discount to balance my tires correctly and I really hate having to push the installers harder and harder to balance my tires better than they typically do because after one or two tries, they start to act like I'm imagining vibrations that don't exist or they think my Jeep has other problems.

Bit of a disappointing story with Discount. I bought my Jeep in Kansas and it needed tires before I brought it to Texas. So, I bought from a place called Kansasland tire. They did an OUTSTANDING job installing them. Took about one hour for all 4, no vibrations whatsoever, I was able to drive away with no issues at all. The tires were Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 31x10.5 mounted to 15x8 wheels.

They remained perfect like this until I reached 6,000 miles and decided I would take the Jeep to Discount since there is no such thing as Kansasland in Texas. So, naturally I had to buy a R&B package for about $60 since I didn't get the tires from Discount originally. Fine. Well, as soon as I left Discount, I hit the highway and first thing I notice is the Jeep is shaking once I get going about 60. So, I bring it back to the store and they "balance" them again. Same deal. Did this again, same deal, again.

After becoming fed up, I went home and contacted who at the time was my local mechanic. This was when I first owned Jeeps so I didn't know hardly anything back then. I didn't want to press the tire guys too much and I didn't really know what to do. So my mechanic guy said to buy the road force balancing. I did, what do ya know, no fix.

Where I screwed up is by bringing it in in the first place. Tires need to be rotated every 5,000-6,000 miles. They don't necessarily need balancing. My tires were still balanced perfectly fine and where they ruined it was performing a balance on already balanced tires and invariably screwing up what was a good thing. They also put those funky ugly clip on outside balance weights on my wheels and made them look ugly.

I eventually took it to Modica Brothers (a local tire shop in southeast Texas) and they fixed me up well. Unfortunately I don't live there anymore or else I would absolutely go to Modica Bros. Discount gives me no confidence after that fiasco and I really don't want to go drop down $1400 on tires that I'm going to have to really reign down on the workers to install properly.

I'm thinking I'll try buying from a Goodyear shop for my next set of tires (I only go with Goodyear tires). Hopefully Goodyear isn't a disappointment also. I'll either go with Goodyear or a local shop. As long as they balance them correctly, I'll just rotate them and probably be fine. I'm trying to avoid Discount for anything other than car tire purchases. I'll take Jeeps elsewhere.

Here locally, DT is a bit of a joke. They are fairly new to the area and competing against some really good, well established local guys.
Their prices are always 25-30% higher than everybody else and their service seems to leave a lot to be desired.

And a LOT of chain stores seem to be scared to death of Wranglers anyway.

I have had poor experiences getting Discount to balance my tires correctly and I really hate having to push the installers harder and harder to balance my tires better than they typically do because after one or two tries, they start to act like I'm imagining vibrations that don't exist or they think my Jeep has other problems.

Bit of a disappointing story with Discount. I bought my Jeep in Kansas and it needed tires before I brought it to Texas. So, I bought from a place called Kansasland tire. They did an OUTSTANDING job installing them. Took about one hour for all 4, no vibrations whatsoever, I was able to drive away with no issues at all. The tires were Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 31x10.5 mounted to 15x8 wheels.

They remained perfect like this until I reached 6,000 miles and decided I would take the Jeep to Discount since there is no such thing as Kansasland in Texas. So, naturally I had to buy a R&B package for about $60 since I didn't get the tires from Discount originally. Fine. Well, as soon as I left Discount, I hit the highway and first thing I notice is the Jeep is shaking once I get going about 60. So, I bring it back to the store and they "balance" them again. Same deal. Did this again, same deal, again.

After becoming fed up, I went home and contacted who at the time was my local mechanic. This was when I first owned Jeeps so I didn't know hardly anything back then. I didn't want to press the tire guys too much and I didn't really know what to do. So my mechanic guy said to buy the road force balancing. I did, what do ya know, no fix.

Where I screwed up is by bringing it in in the first place. Tires need to be rotated every 5,000-6,000 miles. They don't necessarily need balancing. My tires were still balanced perfectly fine and where they ruined it was performing a balance on already balanced tires and invariably screwing up what was a good thing. They also put those funky ugly clip on outside balance weights on my wheels and made them look ugly.

I eventually took it to Modica Brothers (a local tire shop in southeast Texas) and they fixed me up well. Unfortunately I don't live there anymore or else I would absolutely go to Modica Bros. Discount gives me no confidence after that fiasco and I really don't want to go drop down $1400 on tires that I'm going to have to really reign down on the workers to install properly.

I'm thinking I'll try buying from a Goodyear shop for my next set of tires (I only go with Goodyear tires). Hopefully Goodyear isn't a disappointment also. I'll either go with Goodyear or a local shop. As long as they balance them correctly, I'll just rotate them and probably be fine. I'm trying to avoid Discount for anything other than car tire purchases. I'll take Jeeps elsewhere.

I am at the point where you were. I am fed up too. Not only can they not balance my tires they tell me they split the weights up because the weights were on one side of the tire, So after driving home from work today it is still bad. I mean like 70 it starts to vibrate and 75 if feels like I have lost a wheel completely. This is worse than how it was when I brought it in to get it fixed. I looked at the wheels and they are still balanced on one side of the wheel. I am not even sure they even did anything the 4rth time. so after 4 times they still can't get it right. At this point, I don't mind spending more money to get it right. I just want it right. Thanks for the story. I thought I was going crazy. The only local show I am aware of close to me is 4wheelparts. I will talk to others and see if there are shops I am not aware of, but this is pretty ridiculous. All I know is they aren't going to get any more money from me. Especially expensive tires. I like the advice I got about finding a ma and pa shop. On the Hunt. If anybody in the Tempe AZ area reads this and has a suggestion hit me up!

Reactions: Brantley
OK the saga continues

I emailed corporate and let them know I wasn't satisfied and that I had it in 4 times for balance and each time it gets worse. They said they would have a guy from the store get a hold of me. He did and he told me to bring it back in, so I did for a 5th time. It is a little better but the truck feels like it is coming apart at 75. They gave me buzz words like force balance and other what I am assuming are discount tire made up words. So I crawled underneath and found there are tape weights on the outside and lip weights on the inside and there are no rhyme or reason. Meaning if the tape weights are on at 0:30 the lip weights are on 0:50 on the opposite sides and others are at the 30 and at the 0. WTF now the wheel behind the driver has two stacks of tape weights one on top of the other

Now mind you these are brand new wheels and tires. They are house brand wheels and house brand coopers. I didn't know at the time. I am suspecting a bad wheel, but arent they professionals and after taking it back 4 times shouldn't they be looking at these? Now I have taken them back 5 times and still not satisfied. Does this look odd to anybody else? Doesn't it seem weird that the weights are on the bottom and the top of the tire and not on others. Also this tire has at least twice as much weights as any of the other tires. Do I take these back and throw them through the window like the old lady?

20170717_191524.jpg
20170717_191524.jpg
20170717_191536.jpg