California November Castle Crags State Park run

tomtaylz

LJR Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Hoping to try out the new rig, it’ll probably be on the milder side, fire roads and whatnot.

When:
Sat November 9th

Meet:
9am at Castella Chevron

Other:
RV camping at Railroad Park

I don’t know the area but I’ll be doing research and looking for advice. I may head up Friday night and camp out so I can sleep in, any suggestions for camping are appreciated!

@Thunderhead @Alex01 @bobthetj03

Reactions: Wojlookout and Indy
Put me down as a maybe. If I went I would likely trailer up and spend the night at a hotel with the wife/kids.

Reactions: tomtaylz
Put me down as a maybe for now. Will confirm after I talk with wifey.

If we go, then we'll head up to Railroad Park Resort late Friday.

We would be in. Great area. Leave my house at 7Am for those BA guys who need to come up on a Friday

We would camp down by the river for Saturday night though

Put me down as a maybe for now. Will confirm after I talk with wifey.

If we go, then we'll head up to Railroad Park Resort late Friday.
That place looks great for the kids. Maybe we will rent a caboose.

Reactions: Indy and tomtaylz
That place looks great for the kids. Maybe we will rent a caboose.
We stayed there in 2016. Kids had fun!
IMG_7409.JPG

IMG_7412.JPG

Screenshot_20191001-230905.png

I'll check with my better half. Breanne is due to have her baby this month, and wife will be spending a week with her when that happens, so I'm tentative at this point. I'll RV to the Railroad Park Friday if we go.

Tamarak Lake 2016 Castle Crags run. CC State Park has some good camping as does the Railroad Park.
20160717_145501.jpg

I'll check with my better half. Breanne is due to have her baby this month, and wife will be spending a week with her when that happens, so I'm tentative at this point. I'll RV to the Railroad Park Friday if we go.

Tamarak Lake 2016 Castle Crags run. CC State Park has some good camping as does the Railroad Park.
View attachment 118100

It looks decently easy to get to and then there is some rock crawling areas around the lake, is that correct?

View attachment 118100
Nice Red Jeep there on the left. :cool:

There is a smallish camping area at Tamarack Lake, and a larger one to the right of the road shortly before you get to the lake. You will recognize it because it is just past a parking area where many people leave their ATV and jeep trailers. The spot at the lake will fill first.

There may be snow before 11/9. We've already had snow at the base of Mt. Shasta, also at Hatchett Summit on Hwy 299 between Redding and Burney. Shouldn't be a huge problem, just be prepared for snow wheeling.

Count on me for at least a day run. I'm only 45 minutes away so it will be camping for me only if good weather.

Hoping to try out the new rig, it’ll probably be on the milder side, fire roads and whatnot.

When:
Sat November 9th

Meet:
9am at Castella Chevron

Other:
RV camping at Railroad Park

I don’t know the area but I’ll be doing research and looking for advice. I may head up Friday night and camp out so I can sleep in, any suggestions for camping are appreciated!

@Thunderhead @Alex01 @bobthetj03

We can drive up to Tamarak Lake for sure. We like to camp at the lower campsites along the river and next to the train tracks, there is a tunnel under the tracks that you can squat in while the train rolls on.
There is also 2 hiking trails i think, One up to CC via PCT and another that goes somewhere I haven't been.
Plus 10 minutes to Dunsmir and we can see Mossbrae Falls :cool:

We can drive up to Tamarak Lake for sure. We like to camp at the lower campsites along the river and next to the train tracks, there is a tunnel under the tracks that you can squat in while the train rolls on.
There is also 2 hiking trails i think, One up to CC via PCT and another that goes somewhere I haven't been.
Plus 10 minutes to Dunsmir and we can see Mossbrae Falls :cool:

Thanks, I’ll look into those. I’m tempted to stay at the Railroad Park if there’s a decent group there Friday night, would be more fun than camping alone.

Reactions: Indy
Perhaps we can plan a no host group dinner Saturday evening at the Railroad Park Dining Car Restaurant since not everyone is camping.

View attachment 118120
That sounds like a great idea. Tom get on it :ROFLMAO:

Thanks, I’ll look into those. I’m tempted to stay at the Railroad Park if there’s a decent group there Friday night, would be more fun than camping alone.

Christina, Charlie, and I will be staying in Caboose 18. (maybe Gia if she wants to join)