November Ride to Telluride

WLDRIDE

WLDRIDE
Supporting Member
Although Colorado as a whole is way behind on snowfall so far this season, the San Juans already had enough snow that we could not drive Ophir Pass or Imogene Pass from Ouray to Telluride. So, we drove Last Dollar road. This was a very nostalgic drive for my son and I; the last time we did it was 30 years ago.

This was along Last Dollar road.

01.jpg

Still my favorite mountain range. This was shot right at dusk.

01b.jpg

Ridgway, Colorado. These are the two hooligans I made the elevated rear seat for.

02.jpg

Ouray, Colorado.

03.jpg

04.JPG

On the Million Dollar highway to Silverton.

05.jpg

Silverton.

06.jpg

Along Last Dollar Road headed to Telluride.

07.JPG

08.JPG

Chimney Rock in the Cimarron Mountains.

09.JPG

Courthouse Mountain in the Cimarrons.

10.JPG

A lot of snow up high in the Cimarrons as well. We got over this pass, but there was too much snow on the eastern slopes.

11.JPG

We've taken so many photos in this spot over the decades. But this was the first time in my own Jeep. You can see the mongrels in their elevated rear seat.

Last edited:
Beautiful pictures of your adventure as always my friend. I gotta get better at documenting my trips. One day I’ll miss not having those pictures.

Reactions: WLDRIDE
We live in Salida. Ouray is just 3 hours away.

Now that I look at the pictures again, I'm realizing I saw you and your jeep at wal mart last week! I remember seeing the San Juan badge/magnet on the side of your jeep and being curious about it.

Looks like an enjoyable drive and a great time

Reactions: JMT
Now that I look at the pictures again, I'm realizing I saw you and your jeep at wal mart last week! I remember seeing the San Juan badge/magnet on the side of your jeep and being curious about it.

Looks like an enjoyable drive and a great time
Yeah, that was me. It looks like you live in Salida as well, is that true?

I'm jealous of you guys, I'd live in/around Salida in a heartbeat but haven't convinced my wife yet. Fortunately I get there a few times a year to wheel and mountain bike.

Reactions: WLDRIDE and JMT
I'm jealous of you guys, I'd live in/around Salida in a heartbeat but haven't convinced my wife yet. Fortunately I get there a few times a year to wheel and mountain bike.
I just moved here in May (only had to convince my dog which was pretty easy). Absolutely 0 regrets. it's great here.

Reactions: rasband
maybe my least favorite thing about moving back to Oklahoma is that I'm 6 hours farther from Silverton.

When I started working from home in 2019 and was still living in COS, Salida was on our short list. We ended up staying in the COS area but moving to Monument to keep our social net.

maybe my least favorite thing about moving back to Oklahoma is that I'm 6 hours farther from Silverton.

When I started working from home in 2019 and was still living in COS, Salida was on our short list. We ended up staying in the COS area but moving to Monument to keep our social net.
I'm in monument and absolutely love it, but given the chance i'd move to salida in a heartbeat

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I'm in monument and absolutely love it, but given the chance i'd move to salida in a heartbeat

I loved Monument too; we were over in Woodmoor. My favorite place of any I've lived. We'd have been there for 15+ years if it weren't for the pull of having two kids 6 and under living near their grandparents.

Add me to the list of ones that would live in Salida.

We were/are in Morrison for 6 years and while we're only 25 min from Denver, it definitely has a small town vibe to it. I always enjoy pulling out of the driveway and seeing the mountains literally right in front of me

Add me to the list of ones that would live in Salida.

We were/are in Morrison for 6 years and while we're only 25 min from Denver, it definitely has a small town vibe to it. I always enjoy pulling out of the driveway and seeing the mountains literally right in front of me

that was something I liked about Monument. I was 20 minutes from anything I wanted to do in Colorado Springs, 15 minutes from forest service roads, and about 45 minutes from downtown Denver. The town is small enough with only 10k people but somehow still has a Home Depot and a Discount Tire.

Considering making a weekend trek to do the trail there next year. Would be a really nice weekend I think.

Thanks for the pics - I really want to go now. :D