NSG370 6-speed manual shifting problem

Golden Eagle

Does anyone have any input on this? Was driving to work to Denver a couple weeks ago in 4 hi in biggest snow of the year in stop and go traffic. All of a sudden after shifting from first i got stuck in neutral an was unable to shift into any gear. Tried going to 2 wheel 4 low and neutral on diff. selector trans still stick in neutral. After being towed off the highway with engine off i was able to shift again the turn engine on and drive vehicle. 2006 Golden Eagle with 171 k. This is my snow vehicle makes me nervous to drive for obvious reasons Thanks!

I'd try swapping fluid out to Red Line MTL. Cured a host of tranny problems I had, including not being able to shift into 6th gear and very hard to get into reverse. Trans went from a real sloppy shifter to much tighter shifts and easily into 6 and R in less than 100 ft. And continued to improve until now when it feels like a new transmission. Could not believe the improvement.

Reactions: il buono and Chris
At 171k your transmission is getting close to rebuild time. While that may or may not be the issue, most of the time these things don’t last past 200k before they start having serious issues, such as the one you described.

Redline MTL may or may not help.

Perhaps your clutch isn't fully disengaging? If the clutch isn't disengaging, you won't be able to shift in any gear with the engine on, but you should be able to shift with the engine off or by clutchless shifting. Solutions might be a new master/slave cylinder, throw out bearing, and/or clutch.

Reactions: skrelnik
I had a similar issue yesterday. My 99 Sahara has been sitting up about a year. I jumped it off yesterday and I couldn't get it to shift in any gear with the clutch all the way to the floor. If I turned it off I could shift in any gear I wanted. I just had the master and slave cylinder replaced last year before it set up and haven't put 50 miles on the Jeep since that repair. its only got 90K miles on it. Any ideas what could be up?

I had a similar issue yesterday. My 99 Sahara has been sitting up about a year. I jumped it off yesterday and I couldn't get it to shift in any gear with the clutch all the way to the floor. If I turned it off I could shift in any gear I wanted. I just had the master and slave cylinder replaced last year before it set up and haven't put 50 miles on the Jeep since that repair. its only got 90K miles on it. Any ideas what could be up?
Sounds like you might have gotten a bad master/slave. Is the part under warranty? Did it have the same issue before the replacement? Were the clutch and associated bearings & parts replaced as well?

Sometimes a clutch can stick to the flywheel when it has been sitting a while. If it is a standard you can try slowly towing it while in 1st gear, foot on the clutch. A few tugs should unstick the clutch disk. Be gentle but firm with the tow strap. And only towing going foward. Not in reverse. Put it in neutral and let it coast until you are on a good, high traction surface. It will probably just slip the tires in dirt or gravel driveway. 1st gear only. Slow, controlled tugs with the tow strap.

Had (maybe still have) the same issue with my 99 4.0 AX-15. Once the vehicle was warm, it wouldn't go into gear. I tried changing the tranny fluid (Syncromesh) and that didn't help the shifting although the vehicle ran much smoother. I then replaced the Clutch master and slave cylinder (Luk), that helped a bit but still would lock me out of 1st and reverse. As Steel City 06 above mentioned, I decided that the input shaft was not being allowed to spin down - perhaps clutch sticking or pilot bearing was to blame. I pulled my tranny and found out that the clutch surface was contaminated with gear oil. The front seal on the tranny was torn and the fluid was moving down the inside of the input bearing shaft and spraying onto the clutch. I have replaced the input shaft seal, clutch, throwout bearing, and pilot bearing and am about to take it on its first drive today.

Reactions: BoundlessBasu
Yeah, potentially sounds like a master/slave cylinder problem. Did the clutch pedal feel any different when this happened, as if it had lost hydraulic fluid and could not actuate the clutch fork? Maybe check the fluid reservoir.

The clutch disk is stuck to the flywheel. Put it in the highest gear (5 or 6), set the parking brake, push the clutch pedal to the floor, and bump the starter. It should break it free instantly

I've never had a stuck clutch release this way.⬆️ Always had to resort to the tow strap. But this is a lot easier to do, and if it works for you then great. If this way won't un-stick the clutch ten try the strap. With luck this way works and saves a lot of time and B.S.👍

Had (maybe still have) the same issue with my 99 4.0 AX-15. Once the vehicle was warm, it wouldn't go into gear. I tried changing the tranny fluid (Syncromesh) and that didn't help the shifting although the vehicle ran much smoother. I then replaced the Clutch master and slave cylinder (Luk), that helped a bit but still would lock me out of 1st and reverse. As Steel City 06 above mentioned, I decided that the input shaft was not being allowed to spin down - perhaps clutch sticking or pilot bearing was to blame. I pulled my tranny and found out that the clutch surface was contaminated with gear oil. The front seal on the tranny was torn and the fluid was moving down the inside of the input bearing shaft and spraying onto the clutch. I have replaced the input shaft seal, clutch, throwout bearing, and pilot bearing and am about to take it on its first drive today.
Took it out yesterday shifted fine for about 20 mins after got WARM started having shifting issues and squeaking and other unusual sounds while idling. Thanks to all who responded.

At 171k your transmission is getting close to rebuild time. While that may or may not be the issue, most of the time these things don’t last past 200k before they start having serious issues, such as the one you described.

Redline MTL may or may not help.
Thanks Chris

Reactions: Chris
@Golden Eagle
To follow up. After replacing the clutch, pilot bearing, throw out etc.. and tranny seal, the Jeep is running great. No shifting issues at all.

I know pulling the tranny seems like a pain, it is worth it once the Jeep is working properly again.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Yesterday while driving home from work it got really hard to shift into gear. By the time I got home 15 minutes later it was near impossible as I had to slam it into gear even with the clutch down. Also did see something leaking on the back right tire after trying to put it in first and reverse a few times. If I dont have the clutch pressed in and push into first (even though it doesn't actually go into gear) it does roll forward slowly and same for reverse.

If engine is off I'm able to easy put it in any gear.

If I start in first, with clutch pressed, I'm able to disengage clutch and go in first just fine but I can't shift to second.

If I look under my jeep I see some wetness under the transmission that is light brown.

When under jeep and I have someone press the clutch in while running i see forward movement (about half inch) between

Things I have checked:

1) clutch fluid is filled
2) I opened fill cap on transmission and put finger in and had wetness on finger so seems like transmission isn't leaking
3) Felt around clutch peddle where it meets master cylinder on driver side floor and no wetness. (Clutch fluid is full)
4) Felt around the slave on driver side and didn't feel or see wetness.

I read through so many articles and only thing left that I'm not really sure how to check is the pressure plate or clutch disk.

Please let me know if you have any ideas. This is my only vehicle so I need it for work as I'm already looking into long term rentals for this coming Monday.

Thanks in advance and I promise to post the resolution once actually completed.