NSG370 Questions

JeepManJones

Took the new TJ for a spin today around the neighborhood. I noticed that the tranny feels kinda gritty when shifting into first from a stop. Not a grinding noise or anything, it just has a gritty feel. Now it does have 196k on it so I'm not too worried, just wanted to get an opinion. Not sure if this could be linkage? I'm hoping it's not the actual gears as it would most likely make a grinding sound in that case. Just trying to avoid a situation where things are slowly grinding themselves to deterioration.

That is 100% normal behavior for that transmission.

At 196k it's getting up there in miles and definitely inching closer to needing a rebuild, no doubt about that.

However, the best thing you can do for these transmissions is putting Redline MTL in them. It makes a world of difference with the way they shift.

Also you can't shift them like you are doing the quarter mile. You have to finesse her between gears. But Chris is right Redline MTL makes a world of difference. Don't be shocked when you see the oil it is more that consistency of Auto Trans fluid as opposed to good old fashion gear lube. Not sure what the PO had in mine before I changed it but it used to smell like 90W gear lube when it would get hot. That went away after I switched to Redline. It is not cheap about $18/quart.

https://www.redlineoil.com/mtl-75w80-gl-4-gear-oil

Reactions: skrelnik
Also you can't shift them like you are doing the quarter mile. You have to finesse her between gears. But Chris is right Redline MTL makes a world of difference. Don't be shocked when you see the oil it is more that consistency of Auto Trans fluid as opposed to good old fashion gear lube. Not sure what the PO had in mine before I changed it but it used to smell like 90W gear lube when it would get hot. That went away after I switched to Redline. It is not cheap about $18/quart.

You can get the Redline MTL 75W/80 for $58 a gallon which is $14.50 a quart on Amazon with FREE shipping.

That is 100% normal behavior for that transmission.

At 196k it's getting up there in miles and definitely inching closer to needing a rebuild, no doubt about that.

However, the best thing you can do for these transmissions is putting Redline MTL in them. It makes a world of difference with the way they shift.

Very reassuring. Going to to all of the fluids soon and will make sure to pick up a few quarts of the Redline MTL. (y)

Reactions: Chris

Last time I tried to do the quarter mile in the CJ5 3 speed, I ended up with 3 neutrals and a reverse :sick:

This tranny is grouchy, but I can confirm the redline mtl was a definite improvement. I think it will always complain though, at least a little :)

Mine has 240K miles and yes, shifting into first is not like it was 200K miles ago. Not likely to get better since Chrysler no longer offers remanufactured transmissions. I think someone near Seattle remans them but I've yet to find them.