Nutsert size for factory side steps

Just Relax

Hoping that there might be a definitive answer on this topic established. I picked up a set of stock steps from a fellow jeeper that upgraded. These are the steps that have the tab that hook into the slots and bolt to the existing holes. The holes line up perfect but my frame doesn’t have the nutserts which has opened up another few hours of slightly mind boggling research tonight on the amount of places these are used.

So rather than my first thought of tapping the hole it appears that I need to pick some nutserts up for this.

That said from what I can tell the oem are no longer available and heading to a fastenall or similar is the way to go.

There doesn’t seem to be a consensus answer from what I’ve seen to what size will fit this hole. Does anyone know the size that will fit this properly?

I don’t have the exact answer your looking for, but may have something.

Do you have the factory bolts? If so take them with you to match up nutserts that fit.
Measure the diameter of the hole and find one that will fit.

If you don’t have the factory bolts (or even if you do) just buy what ever nutsert that fits the diameter as well as matching bolts.

Thanks for the response MT. I do not have the factory bolts. They are M8, pretty sure M8x40. So it seems simple pick up the M8 nutsert and a couple bolts. However I read a guy picked up the M8 online and it was undersized for the hole in the frame so went with an M10 and it was a bit tight but did the job. So it sounds like material thickness varies as well between brands.

I will likely end up measuring the hole and figuring out something pretty close. I was crossing my fingers that a couple guys had done this and could respond yeah standard size 'x' works like a charm pick them up at Grainger.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Hoping that there might be a definitive answer on this topic established. I picked up a set of stock steps from a fellow jeeper that upgraded. These are the steps that have the tab that hook into the slots and bolt to the existing holes. The holes line up perfect but my frame doesn’t have the nutserts which has opened up another few hours of slightly mind boggling research tonight on the amount of places these are used.

So rather than my first thought of tapping the hole it appears that I need to pick some nutserts up for this.

That said from what I can tell the oem are no longer available and heading to a fastenall or similar is the way to go.

There doesn’t seem to be a consensus answer from what I’ve seen to what size will fit this hole. Does anyone know the size that will fit this properly?
The standard 5/16-18 nutsert that we all use for armor should work. It is typically referred to as a heavy duty flanged nutsert and you need to specify the grip range for the frame which is .150.

Thanks for the response MT. I do not have the factory bolts. They are M8, pretty sure M8x40. So it seems simple pick up the M8 nutsert and a couple bolts. However I read a guy picked up the M8 online and it was undersized for the hole in the frame so went with an M10 and it was a bit tight but did the job. So it sounds like material thickness varies as well between brands.

I will likely end up measuring the hole and figuring out something pretty close. I was crossing my fingers that a couple guys had done this and could respond yeah standard size 'x' works like a charm pick them up at Grainger.
It isn't that material thickness between brands varies, the issue is there are hundreds of different styles of nutserts for various applications. If you measure the hole size with a common drill bit, that will put you on the right track to start. I've sent out several of the ones I've mentioned above and they have worked perfectly since 5/16" and 8mm are within fractions of an inch of being the same size.

It isn't that material thickness between brands varies, the issue is there are hundreds of different styles of nutserts for various applications. If you measure the hole size with a common drill bit, that will put you on the right track to start. I've sent out several of the ones I've mentioned above and they have worked perfectly since 5/16" and 8mm are within fractions of an inch of being the same size.

Yes I agree that these will work.

I just put two and two together. Im not sure forum etiquette on this but do you sell these on your website?

Yes I agree that these will work.

I just put two and two together. Im not sure forum etiquette on this but do you sell these on your website?
We don't sell them on the site. How many do you need? McMaster has them under part number 95105A155. You can use those specs to find them cheaper if you want to spend the time looking for them.

Interestingly perhaps, the 8mm version has the exact same hole size in the frame as those do. 17/32 or .531

Need 8 total for the steps. Fastenall sells a bag of 10 that I’ll pick up. I didn’t see them under the nutsert tab on your site but wanted to ask just in case. Always like purchasing things from those that offer the help if it’s an option.

Need 8 total for the steps. Fastenall sells a bag of 10 that I’ll pick up. I didn’t see them under the nutsert tab on your site but wanted to ask just in case. Always like purchasing things from those that offer the help if it’s an option.
I've considered putting the kit together. I struggle with that because I can't do it for free and there isn't a lot of mark-up in the nutserts or the hardware. I'd be selling it near cost which is dumb or making enough to warrant the time and effort. If I make enough to do that, then I have to put up with the bullshit from everyone about how you can just go down to Fastenal and grab the same things for much less. I prefer less bullshit and we haven't even factored in shipping yet.

Reactions: Just Relax
@Just Relax , when you set your nutserts, if you’re using the home-made tool method, be sure you use grade 8 hardware.

The first one I ever set I was doing late at night and wanted to get it finished. All I had in the size I needed was grade 5 and it didn’t work out well. Lol.

Mrblaine’s bkack magic brakes website has a link on how to make the tool. Once I got the correct hardware the next day, It worked perfectly.

Reactions: Just Relax
@Just Relax , when you set your nutserts, if you’re using the home-made tool method, be sure you use grade 8 hardware.

The first one I ever set I was doing late at night and wanted to get it finished. All I had in the size I needed was grade 5 and it didn’t work out well. Lol.

Mrblaine’s bkack magic brakes website has a link on how to make the tool. Once I got the correct hardware the next day, It worked perfectly.

Understood and very valuable information. Thanks for the help!